vintage silage

walsh35

1 hour ago, SPN said:

Some lovely machines there.

The Fritz cabbed 6600 is seriously underworked. I used to drive one with a 72" Gehl double chop and pulling 8 ton Lees behind. On a good day you could get into L2.

Our contractor back in the early 80's had a Fritz cab 6600 also on a Taarup double chop for a year or so until he upped to a 7700 & the 6600 fell into carting dutys replacing a 4000.  The 6600 was a PowerPlus model as far as I can remember . But it done the job on the double chop !! Plenty black smoke tough . The 7700 was well comfortable on it in comparison . 

4 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Our contractor back in the early 80's had a Fritz cab 6600 also on a Taarup double chop for a year or so until he upped to a 7700 & the 6600 fell into carting dutys replacing a 4000.  The 6600 was a PowerPlus model as far as I can remember . But it done the job on the double chop !! Plenty black smoke tough . The 7700 was well comfortable on it in comparison . 

The Taarup was a 5ft machine. The Gehl was a 6ft machine.

The first silage outfit I remember seeing as a kid was a 6Y 5000 with a Taarup DC1500, a Massey 65 carting with a Warren 6 tonner and a Twomey 6 tonner, and a cab-less 6Y 4000 on the pit.

The Gehl was later put behind a Fiat 980 and the 6600 was put on carting duties.

Archived