Liquid Chrome Pens

catkom3

• 1 month later...

we get gold ones at work,used to get the silver ones to,for marking joints up, but they went for cheaper tyre marking pens in white in the end, as it sticks out better against the black plastic, always made for good xmas cards with the kids :D:D

41 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

we get gold ones at work,used to get the silver ones to,for marking joints up, but they went for cheaper tyre marking pens in white in the end, as it sticks out better against the black plastic, always made for good xmas cards with the kids :D:D

Were they Molotow though Sean,these pens / refill's are specially formulated for the hobby enthusiast,I've got Gold and Silver pens as well.but their no good for use on models,

"MOLOTOW™ launched the special ink LIQUID CHROME™ with mirror effect. The liquid chrome is the result of a long-term development of the also well-known BURNER™ ink from MOLOTOW™. LIQUID CHROME™ is available as markers and as 30 ml refill. The refill is perfectly suitable to be applied with an airbrush. The ink can be sprayed easily through the finest nozzle. A smooth, non-absorbent surface is necessary to achieve the best mirror effect.

The highly pigmented alcohol-based special ink creates a real mirror effect and has been enthusiastically received by the graffiti, hobby and D.I.Y. scene. It comes as no surprise therefore that some sort of hype emerged about the markers. The ink can also be used in custom painting, illustration or scale modeling. In combination with candy, anodized colors can be created in custom painting. In scale modeling, bumpers and other things can be set in a realistic scene. The ink is highly opaque, permanent and has a good UV resistance."

Regards

Joe.

I picked up a couple of the liquid chrome pens after seeing them on car modelling forums. Can't praise them enough.......

Come as pens with different nib sizes, I have 1mm and 2mm (haven't used the 2 !). Are refillable, so you don't actually need the pen if you don't want it. Can be brushed on or sprayed as stated above. Brilliant for any full chrome pieces - headlights, rams, car trim. For rear lights, once dry overcoat with Tamiya clear red, indicators, Tamiya clear orange.

What's more, I then found they do a masking pen that lays a pale blue latex mask - brilliant around windows. After painting it rubs off, or just dab a blob of blu tack over it to lift it.

They also do colour in the pens - I've just bought a black pen for window rubbers. Not tried it yet.

Google any modelling forum and you'll see pages of information. Bought mine off Amazon.

Photo from bottom: 1mm liquid chrome, 2mm liquid chrome, 2mm masking pen, 1mm black pen.

IMG_2035.JPG

Archived