Replacing wheels/scratchbuild with wheels

Janval

Question

6 answers to this question

what wheels?  normally with uh wheels and most infact , i just find a matching brass rod, and use the holes already there in the wheels ,i have always found  it easier to drill the chassis hole out wider if required, or fit a plastic tube  shim if it needs to be a bit smaller, no need to hide the screws then, 

Any wheels really, I've fitted a good few by now. And I've done it as you've described it, using brass rods that fits the chassis and using tubes to shrink the hole in the rims. But sometimes it feels a bit wobbly. Now I've got a big bag of spare wheels (different manufacturers, mostly UH and ROS), and a stock of Artisan ones - The ballon wheels for instance, which seems to be made for a trailer or a slurry tank of some sort, I'm considering fitting them as front wheels on a tractor in stead.

I dont know who makes these, doesn't show on the photo but the hole on the back is massive:
IMG_5544-1.jpg

As a general rule I always fix the wheels in a way so that they will turn and roll as they should, but it's going to be tricky with the ERTL models I'm remaking (FW60, Case 2294, DB 1690 and Case 4894). I'll try to post up some examples later on, I'm alone with the kids since the missus is working night shifts so might not be able to till later in the week). 

Erik, have you tried filling the hole in the wheel with an appropiate size piece of solid  rod cut to length & glued in and then drilled to the size hole you require for the axle.

35 minutes ago, Awdmac said:

Erik, have you tried filling the hole in the wheel with an appropiate size piece of solid  rod cut to length & glued in and then drilled to the size hole you require for the axle.

That's a possibility I had not considered yet, might try that out!

On 7/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, Fenside MF said:

thosewheels are off the universal hobbies Kuhn trailed mower Jan Erik,nice wheel for a trailer smaller than 8 ton payload

Didn't know that! I have a couple sets going on some 3T trailers I have coming up.

Archived