New Holland 8770

This had been on my workbench for a while and had to be finished sometime.
Base model is a New Holland 8970A from Ertl. In itself a reasonable model but still a toy ...

Furthermore, I used a front axle of an Imber Ford 5640, 3pt lift of a Ros New Holland 70 series and front tires, all from Pieter H. Dijkstra. Rear tires come from a Ros New Holland T7070 and finished it with decals from Baerny. These are not entirely correct but after having ordered twice from a Belgian and nothing received these were second best.

20200119_224622.jpg

20200119_224653.jpg

20200119_224723.jpg

20200119_224759.jpg

20200119_224829.jpg

20200119_225125.jpg

49579431_10216500441759079_3100396488501493760_n.jpg

People on the Dutch forum commented that the model is not very detailed. I could have taken the European model from Ros, but somehow the bonnet of the Ros version doesn't seem right (too flat). All in all, the European New Holland Genesis 70 series is much richer equipped with regard to, for example, fender wideners and lighting. The American 1: 1 version, for example, has completely different lighting than the European one: hazard lights in the roof edge, no lights in the grill, no width lights on the cab, even no work lights in the front roof and no mirrors. They were even available without 3-pt lift. Probably with the thought if it is not there it can not break. :D 

The baler behind it is also American. These are red, European ones are yellow.

imgfsgdfsfsa.jpg

Seems a bit rude to comment on the lack of detail.  From my experience in the past the Ertl models are not the easiest to upgrade, I.had many a problem replacing front axles.  You seem to have done a very polished job. Adding rear linkage can be a pain too.  

Have you considered glazing the cab, the pillar frames are quite wide so shouldn't be too difficult to do with some 0.5 or 1mm transparent plastic sheet.  I am sure there are plenty of people on here that could give some tips on glazing the cab.  

It would be a big job to replace the bonet headlights.  Which is about the only other thing that could be missing.  

I am not too bothered about the comments about the lack of detail. People in Europe are not used to these basic tractors anymore. Looking at the American version in the pic above there's not much missing. 

The front axle came off quite easily on this one. There's no re-use for it so I could just break the Supersteer axle off. Same goes for the drawbar. Just grind it down a bit to make it flat and the new axle and linkage can be glued on quite easily.

I have considered glazing the cab, but I have also seen people doing it in the past where I wasn't quite happy with the results, especially around the dashboard, so I'll just leave it as is. Probably some working lights at the fuel tank and a set of pedals will be added, and maybe a front weight carrier from a T6020. Must have that somewhere.

• 11 months later...

Archived