1/16 Cockshutt 70 (1935-48) the other 'RC'

I'm a Scale radio control guy much more than a farm toy collector, so this is going to be a very Abnormal conversion. If i do it right, it's going to look about the same as before starting.

I thought Scale Farming looks fun. There's plenty of stuff to have the machines do, and trailers, and attachments.

Since i've got very limited machining capibility, I needed a Narrow Front or something that already had articulating steering. Then i stumbled across these cheap at a used stuff store.

5seP8d4h.jpg

Without knowing anything about either of them, the one on your Left looked like a great basis to start with. Soft rubbery tires, enclosed hood instead of engine detail, Narrow Front wheels, says cock, little wing steps above rear axle, pretty cool looking lines.

Current Plan: pair of 200 rpm 12v gearmotors, a mg90s servo, 10a esc, 2ch radio, some 2/3A nimh cells. Punch couple holes for switches, charge port, and antenna 'exhaust pipe'.

I'm only planning to use it to pull stuff with the drawbar. So I currently don't think it's worth setting up a 3-pt hitch, or trying to make the mid-mount cultivator things.

There's no brand castings on this one. It's not an Ertl, but it is 1/16 scale diecast metal like their tractors. Once i figured out that it's a Cockshutt 70, i could start some research. its a Row-crop tractor built from 1935-48. Seems like they were built by Oliver, and sold in Canada. Hart Parr 70 / Oliver 70 / Cockshutt 70 were the same tractor.

This one only had 2 rivets securing body halves. Chopped off axle tubes, make gearmotor holes, glue motors under the wings, backfill with some glue from inside chassis.

For ease of conversion i didn't try to tuck the gearboxes below the wing steps. I could have narrowed the rear track closer to stock, but i thought it'd play in well with the endless debate about Tricycle vs Wide tractor stability. Maybe the owners were scared and put wideners on it.

Chop down the front axle steering tab, glue a vertical tube to steering pedastal, make an ugly linkage to hook a servo.

hOnUdnlh.jpg

My real tractor knowlege is rather limited, so i'm very open to tips, suggestions and all that. I was just a suburb kid, but atleast was in 4-H. 

I also took some brass 'shaft couplers', turned down to the ID of rear wheel hubs, and opened the other side to the OD of my motor output. Wheels fasten to gearmotors with 2 setscrews. I went wide on the rear track, which added room to tuck the esc by the motors.

Strapped stuff all over it for a quick test run

34mDq2Ch.jpg

But it worked.

I punched holes in the bottom for a Charge/Run switch, Charge port, and ESC power switch.

SyS80gM.jpg

Then i had misordered the batteries to build a NiMH pack, so I got 2/3AA cells instead of 2/3A. So less mAh, but easier to fit inside. Running 5 cells with minimal trimming works for me.

Stuck a pilot light through the dash, it just taps into the RX to let me know model is powered. Chopped the steering shaft and mounted the wheel to the frame. 

I'm learning that there were 4 major versions of this tractor. Row Crop, Standard, Orchard, Indistrial. There are some versions with the big friction wheel to drive flat belts that my casting doesn't have. Any idea if the Row Crop narrow-front would have had the belt drive wheel?

Does anyone know where the exhaust exits on a Cockshutt or Oliver 70 with the full engine shroud? I'm planning on getting the antenna hidden in plastic exhaust

I think we're realistically about 95% done now.

ZsoaNl4h.jpg

8Cf2J12h.jpg

Drill & mount an exhaust stack for the antenna. A bent tip or tractor flap would be the normal way to top that off, so maybe stick a Coke can on top.

Paint the axle tubes, change seat color. Cream grille and lower stripe. Maybe *very light* weathering?

Figure out who wants to be the operator, make them a seatbelt.

Buy & make awesome impliments!!!

Really nice and unusual conversion, I also have a 1/16 IH (for the kids to play with) but it seems there is enough room inside the model to accommodate all the RC components. Do you have any more to show of coming?

Thank you both! (And those people who Like but don't comment)

You're right, the disk definately needs more weight to get through my "clay formerly known as crawlspace dirt". (Along with probably metal disks, more horsepower, and probably using a rake to help prep it first...)  Mostly i just wanted some better looking scenery for pictures.

Since i was unable to read threads until joining, I didn't realize the board appears mostly aimed toward 1/32 and 1/64 farming. I'm seeing some Ertl and Bruder, so I hoped it would fit in well enough. Even if i am "Ruining Toys" i usually like the stuff that's got some wear on it, so i'm not fighting the collectors.

I'm not sure about what else i may have coming later. I just stumbled across this machine. I had first started a (ertl 1/16) Ford 7710, but i found my tooling lacking to make the steering axle. Much of the Cockshutt conversion was using parts i had originally bought for the Ford. 

I know that i want to start building / getting some implements i can put to work. I *really* want to build one of the people-mover Shuttle trailers that are used at many of our State and County Fairs here in the USA.

I knew it needed an exhaust to hide my Antenna up out of the body. It get's a can to keep the rain out until i feel like making a rain flap.

Then it really ought to have a hand-throttle, well if it's got that it might as well have a shifter, then i needed to drill the front wheel other lug holes and since it's restored give it chrome lug nuts...

hCG3u0Zh.jpg

TKemjoKh.jpg

Hey wait, where did the International Farmall 1256 and Barge wagon come from?

But I DON'T have another lot it was on? 

Oh no, looks like i'm on my way to becoming a Farm Collector...

Hi Jeremy

thanks tor taking the time to show off your considerable talents of engineering, I can't even wire a plug correctly :huh:. It's nice to see some other views on the forum showing what is being done all over the world. I really like the 1/16th stuff, I just don't have the room to put it or display it so I have stuck with 1/32 and a few 1/43 models.

If you want to get a taste of what can be achieved than have a look at this video taken at the Dutch show in 2019

https://www.agritoy.nl/wat-doen-wij/landbouwminiaturenbeurs/beurs-2019

There are even some radio controlled models in the first couple of minutes of the video

I probably won't be doing one of the huge Articulated 4wd ones. I've seen a couple of those converted to RC or scratch built, and they look and work great. For something that expensive and complicated, I'd probably build a semi-truck or fire engine instead. 

https://rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10 

Thank you, i think it came out pretty nicely for as fast as it fell together. I've seen a few dioramas like those at a few of the toy shows we had around here, looks like a fun place to visit!

Seeing some conversions at a couple of our bigger shows and meets like these helped convince me to make a tractor.

https://youtu.be/TZGLX4Z39rs 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, how's this looking now?

https://imgur.com/7HaW7oyh.jpg

https://imgur.com/XNDABalh.jpg

Backstory i'm aiming for this machine has been used through it's first life, restored into a show tractor, and gets out for some plow days and other light use.

I'm going to try to learn how to turn Some bad videos into A bad video. Also probably just a couple more details when i feel like it.

Hopefully this video doesn't suck, i was juggling a camera and remote, plus i'm trying to learn a video editor.

I know it's a 6 cylinder with 6 forward gears and the rear track set very wide, but Sabine might be driving it pretty fast for as rough as my land is.

I should be careful that i don't go too crazy into the Farming world, i may need to have her dad show up and introduce "some of the other old crap around here that's not running..."

Archived