Building Braemere Farm Model Kits

PDH

I'm now just about to start on my third Braemere kit. Of the first two one is in paint and the other is awaiting me to have the time to customise a few parts.

James in his instructions for building these kits recommends a superglue. Personally I can't stand the stuff so I've been using Revell Contacta glue. I've found this to be ok but takes time after application to grip/fix the parts together so slowing the build. I've been looking around for an alternative non-superglue and on visit to my local model shop today I came across Plastic Magic and I purchased a bottle.

As a quick test when I got home I fixed two parts together and in seconds the parts were firmly stuck together and the glue had dried so for model 3 I'll be using this and see if it works well.

Some tips - always sand the gloss surface off the plastic areas to be glued, allows better adhesion.

Plastic Magic is very liquid so can run everywhere so be careful when applying it but on the plus side it evaporates very quickly and appears to leave no damage.

As I progress I'll add any further experience of Plastic Magic experienced but I do hope this is the glue to use for all future kits - fingers crossed!

P

AD77plasticMagic2017_500x500.jpeg

afc6737849c53cb2bde9026f5e58d9ab_500x500.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I'll get me a bottle of that......i've been using EMA plastic weld, it's done the job so far but always good to try other things

It’s probably similar to Plastic Weld Barry. Deluxe Materials products seem to be more geared to the modelling market whereas I get the impression that Plastic Weld was more a product for the building industry. A plumber I know uses it to join plastic pipes etc. I’ve always found Plastic Weld a very ‘hot’ product! I wouldn’t want to knock a bottle over especially on the workbench which I have done! The result was carnage and a huge amount of mess/cleanup.

Interesting stuff Peter, just ordered a bottle to see for myself.

I've used EMA Plastiweld for fifteen years now and wouldn't opt for anything else when it comes to modelling in Styrene however I found it incredibly poor at adhering Acrylic plastic despite stating it can on the box, hence why I've never recommended a solvent cement in the manuals. Gorilla super glue is the most readily available option I know of that works but its very fast setting with no mercy when taking apart, which is tricky for beginners hence the option of Revell Contacta, however I'll boot them both down the list on the manuals if this Deluxe works as well as you say!

Thank you for sharing the information, I take on all feedback and put it back into the products to make them as good as they can be.

Interesting stuff guys!
I also have some disadvantages using superglue, as for instance it sometimes hurts my eyes during use......

So i also will try to find this Plastic Magic stuff somewhere.

Thanks for the information Peter!

Have a nice day

BR
Jan

• Like 1

I will also add that if anyone is looking for the strongest/best option for the kits you want Tensol 12 Plastic Adhesive. It's specifically formulated for gluing cast acrylic sheet (which is what the kits are cut from). It's abit more viscus than plastiweld etc and also has a longer work time, say 30-60 seconds before it grips and another minute or two before you can't split a part. But once its cured (72hrs) you'll break the acrylic around the joint long before the bonded area gives up. I used it on the very first run of 10 Bailey trailers I did and it worked very well. I don't advertise it as it's not readily available and has abit too much of an industrial feel/look for the average modeler to pick up and use.

41g21m5l9zL._SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

• Like 1

Let me know how you all get on with the Plastic Magic. I've done some more playing around this morning with great success. 

The bits I glued together yesterday are firmly stuck, can't break the joint at all.

James - when I bought my first kit - the twin axle bale trailer -I managed to get hold of some Tensol 12. Unfortunately I didn't manage to use it for quite a while after purchase. When I started building the first kit I dug it out only to find I only had about a quarter of the bottle left and it had gone thick. So I'm assuming Tensol 12 has a particular shelf life? I tried too use what I had but it wasn't particularly;larly successful so I tried other glues and ended up with the Contacta as the best alternative I found.

I don't think Plastic Magic has a similar issue reading the comments of modellers who have used it.

Good stuff guys 

P