Royal Mail postage

CX820Joe

I had not realised that when RM recently increased their prices they have done away with the £50 compensation on signed for delivery options.  Now the compo is only £20 so I have today posted three items with special delivery as that’s the next option to insure the parcel.  My own policy (and I know it may sound slightly mad) is that I have always quoted 2nd class recorded.  If an item sold for less than £50 this would cover any issues, if anything goes over or well over £50 I send it special delivery and take the loss.  Reason being it’s better to be able to claim the money back if anything goes missing or gets damaged than if I’d sent it without the appropriate cover where I would have to pay back and not be able to claim and be out of pocket.

But what I am wondering is, if I do continue to sell via eBay do I charge for special delivery or is there an alternative which is cheaper but provides the appropriate insurance/cover?

Joe - if you buy your postage online then Royal Mail offer these services. Selling on eBay you can get these rates by buying your postage via the options eBay offer.

image.png.e9c381305fa84753bca8ec1b124aeb96.png

I use the Tracked 48 option a lot!

I have a similar chart for a medium parcel f you need it.

P

Edited by PDH

These are the prices at a Post Office -

Royal Mail Tracked®

Tracked 24

Tracked 48

Size

Weight up to and including

Price

Price

Large Letter

750g

£3.50

£2.70

Small Parcel

2kg

£4.79

£3.89

Medium Parcel

2kg

£7.09

£6.29

10kg

£8.79

£7.79

20kg

£12.89

£11.39

Includes compensation up to

£150

£150

Prices include VAT at the current rate of 20%.

Royal Mail Tracked® with Signature

Tracked 24

Tracked 48

Size

Weight up to and including

Price

Price

Large Letter

750g

£5.20

£4.40

Small Parcel

2kg

£6.19

£5.29

Medium Parcel

2kg

£8.49

£7.69

10kg

£10.19

£9.19

20kg

£14.29

£12.79

Includes compensation up to

£150

£150

• Like 1

Looking at Royal Mail 'Click and Drop' which is what I've been using to generate postage online for 4 years now the Royal Mail Tracked 48 does look like the best option however I don't think you can drop these off at Post Office branches, they have to go straight to Royal Mail either through organising collection from your house or putting it in one of the parcel post boxes. Pete may be able to suggest otherwise, I haven't used that service for a number of years after it was rejected at the post office, luckily it just fit into the post box outside the building and got there fine, explain that one! 🤣

image.thumb.png.acc7253053a60bd360c8c52f3b4f4a9f.png

I will double check with the guy in the post office this afternoon as he knows his stuff more than other shops I've used in the past.

Your only other option in this price bracket really is Evri/Hermes which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole when shipping models to be honest!

Curious if you have had success in claiming back from Royal Mail at £50? I recently had a number of orders heavily water damaged because of a faulty parcel post box and the best I got for a refund was an 8 book of 1st class stamps 🙄 even with special delivery I've never successfully gained a refund for damage. 

2 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Looking at Royal Mail 'Click and Drop' which is what I've been using to generate postage online for 4 years now the Royal Mail Tracked 48 does look like the best option however I don't think you can drop these off at Post Office branches, they have to go straight to Royal Mail either through organising collection from your house or putting it in one of the parcel post boxes. Pete may be able to suggest otherwise, I haven't used that service for a number of years after it was rejected at the post office, luckily it just fit into the post box outside the building and got there fine, explain that one! 🤣

I will double check with the guy in the post office this afternoon as he knows his stuff more than other shops I've used in the past.

Your only other option in this price bracket really is Evri/Hermes which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole when shipping models to be honest!

Curious if you have had success in claiming back from Royal Mail at £50? I recently had a number of orders heavily water damaged because of a faulty parcel post box and the best I got for a refund was an 8 book of 1st class stamps 🙄 even with special delivery I've never successfully gained a refund for damage. 

Over the years I have used all the delivery companies except Amazon Logistics to send parcels from mainly eBay sales, probably over 3000 now. I always return to Royal Mail, reliable at a reasonable cost, not the cheapest but very, very few problems.

I've looked at all the various collection/postage options RM offer and have found the pay online, print the postage label/drop at your nearest Post Office the best for me. Which service you use, in my view, depends on volume and your location and ability to get to a Post Office branch. From experience the Proof of Posting receipt is all important in proving item has been sent and if you have a claim for damage/non-delivery so any service like Click and Drop is not for me as is putting in a post box.

RM offer several collection services, the latest being Lockers https://www.royalmail.com/sending/parcel-lockers#:~:text=Collections from parcel lockers are,receipt will form basic evidence. which may be useful but for now I'.m going to stick with what works and meets my needs.

Regarding Royal Mail claims - I've had a few, but not for a long time. Always found documentation to be very significant so Proof of Posting receipt, copy of orders/payments/address/eBay link must be provided to get your claim accepted. I've always received the claim amount on any RM claims I have made. Probably RM is more difficult to get a claim accepted these days because of fraudulent claims etc so that makes the documentation all that more important.

Hope this helps.

P

Well I am now quite glad i sent with special delivery as I think the post office man has entered the TN postcode as a TR postcode so instead of being in Kent the parcel is in Truro! Hopefully it will be redirected but if it does go missing it’s covered