gps on tractors

Tractorman810

can somebody answer this,why do you need gps on tractors.most companys offer this now but i don't see the need for it.it's not as if you can get lost in a field is it(except j dmad,only kidding)most farmers know the acreage of there individual fields,and most seed drill have counters ect on them,i can partally understand the need for combines so you can work out your average hourlly acres cut,ect,but on tractors why is it needed

Guest Fendt pwr

I reckon it's also to help you drive in nice straight lines and not waste in-puts on over lapping I could be wrong? as I've never used gps.

You're quite right Fendt Power,driving the same distance away from ones last bout is not foolproof for any

length of time even with narrow machines but the wider the equipment is the more problem it is especially in

the dark.My main question about it is how does it fare on side banks where one has to drive up closer to ones

work to allow for the crabbing that occurs as the machine tries to pull you sideways down the slope as you

work across it?

Hi Nigel,I know the gps on the Deere can have trouble with a sidling as the receiver is then no longer in the middle of tractor as cab is leaning to the left or right of tractor,that is where you have to judge a little yourself until of the sidling.