Britains Civilian Toy Figures

Well I thought I'd get the ball rolling  :)

This really is a great book, written by Norman Joplin.

Contains all of Britains lead production with many colour variants of each item. There is some history behind manufacturing etc, hundreds of colour photos and over two hundred pages.

When I got it I didn't realise how extensive their range was. Priced at about $49.95 it is the best book out there for people collecting lead Britains.

Hi Britfarmer,

you may already have it but there is also a book called,

suspended animation, an unauthorised history of britains and herald plastic figures

by Peter Cole

a very good book on the history of all the figures , with dates of production etc, listed

i also collect lead and plastic farm figures and it always amazes me how many variations are out there,

if i get some spare time i could post some photos , let me know if there is anything you are interested in.

Hi Britfarmer,

you may already have it but there is also a book called,

suspended animation, an unauthorised history of britains and herald plastic figures

by Peter Cole

a very good book on the history of all the figures , with dates of production etc, listed

i also collect lead and plastic farm figures and it always amazes me how many variations are out there,

if i get some spare time i could post some photos , let me know if there is anything you are interested in.

Hi Valtra,

Yes that is a book that I need to get. Any pics you have post away always interested in seeing other peoples collections.

Hi everyone - this is my first post so a little nervous but will do my best! Love this book and the Peter Cole book. I've put together a website, featuring predominantly vintage farms toys, including leads and plastics - and these books (and Norman's other books, of course) have been a godsend. If anyone wants to take a look at the site (sorry, really hard not to make this sound like a plug) the address is www.hollylovestoys.com. The Britains/Herald plastics make up my own collection, as well as FG Taylor (a manufacturer who kind of gets over-looked in plastic). Be great to hear from other enthusiasts and anyone who would like to add to my customer displays page (there's only me at the moment, which is a bit embarrassing).

Hi everyone - this is my first post so a little nervous but will do my best! Love this book and the Peter Cole book. I've put together a website, featuring predominantly vintage farms toys, including leads and plastics - and these books (and Norman's other books, of course) have been a godsend. If anyone wants to take a look at the site (sorry, really hard not to make this sound like a plug) the address is www.hollylovestoys.com. The Britains/Herald plastics make up my own collection, as well as FG Taylor (a manufacturer who kind of gets over-looked in plastic). Be great to hear from other enthusiasts and anyone who would like to add to my customer displays page (there's only me at the moment, which is a bit embarrassing).

Hi Holly

Welcome to the forum, thanks for posting. That is a nice cite you have. I will be in touch at some point to order some figures from you. My collection is extensive but no where near complete. I only collect Britains but am familiar with T&B, Johillco, Crescent etc....

Thank goodness - I thought I'd done something wrong when everything went quiet! Thanks for your comments regarding the site. I haven't put everything on yet. Do you just collect civilian/farm?

No usually takes a while for members to get through reading all the posts. They'll respond eventually :)

Most on here are Tractor oriented. I collect anything that was made by Britains. Mainly farm and zoo. I have a few ceremonial pieces. Wanting to branch out into some floral garden also to add to the farm :)

No usually takes a while for members to get through reading all the posts. They'll respond eventually :)

Most on here are Tractor oriented. I collect anything that was made by Britains. Mainly farm and zoo. I have a few ceremonial pieces. Wanting to branch out into some floral garden also to add to the farm :)

ditto for farm house display section but its not cheap from what i have seen :-\ :-\ :-\

I checked out your photos from previous posts - is that your floral garden display? This range is terrific - and is getting really popular now. The detail they put into these models is incredible - including the floral garden family. There is a UK Forum for floral garden - and there are some super photos of the range included in a Gauge 1 railway layout  - http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/britains_floral_garden/ - (hopefully I got that right!) if you want to take a look. I'd better get on with some work now, but it's been nice talking to you, and now I know who to ask if I'm stuck with identifying a Herald figure! ;)

I checked out your photos from previous posts - is that your floral garden display? This range is terrific - and is getting really popular now. The detail they put into these models is incredible - including the floral garden family. There is a UK Forum for floral garden - and there are some super photos of the range included in a Gauge 1 railway layout  - http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/britains_floral_garden/ - (hopefully I got that right!) if you want to take a look. I'd better get on with some work now, but it's been nice talking to you, and now I know who to ask if I'm stuck with identifying a Herald figure! ;)

Thanks, not all of the pics are mine. I do tend to "borrow" pics from the net.    :D :D :D

Any questions you have I'll be glad to help where I can.

Hi Marky Ferguson - thank you for your comments on the site - I really appreciate feedback, good or bad, as althought I've been selling on eBay for a while, I've never attempted anything like this before - it's been a steep learning curve! The figures on the site are only a very small part of the Britains Herald range - I will put more on gradually, and intend to leave the pictures in place, as they are a useful reference tool for myself, as well as anyone else who needs them. Re: the photo - didn't realised you could enlarge it - now I'm embarrassed :D I had to do a self-portrait for a competition and that was the only thing I could think of! Regards Ladyfarmer