I thought our one was bad - this one is supposed to be running!!

nashmach

SATANS combines        Used to have 2 runners and 9 spere part machines   

First combine i ever drove and they where cr4p,slow blocked up the header if you went faster than a snail and the engines have got to be in the worst place ever invented as they used to get covered in straw and husks and that only means 1 thing  FIRE.

remember being a lad sitting in the top of the steps and getting a very hot butt as it went up in flames.

Nothing but trouble from when they first came out :(

My Dad had two of them and they used to do quite a bit of contracting about 300 acres per annum with them in their heyday and he didn't get that much trouble only the usual combine things - he wishes now he kept our one going especially after he went up to the record attempt in Girley

My Dad had two of them and they used to do quite a bit of contracting about [glow=red,2,300]300 acres per annum [/glow] with them in their heyday and he didn't get that much trouble only the usual combine things - he wishes now he kept our one going especially after he went up to the record attempt in Girley

But i bet it didn't crop 4.5 tonnes to the acre  more like 2 ;)

But i bet it didn't crop 4.5 tonnes to the acre   more like 2 ;)

I'd say would have been a good yield back then and he didn't have much pressure doing it either as he had one lad with 20 acres who didn't cut till well into September each year - he was never under much pressure as he was mainly cutting for a lot of small growers who he also did the ploughing and the harrowing for and my Grandfather did the square baling then  ;)

Now there's a proper wee resto job......Not for me though I'm afraid as I've not got the money...... :D

Anyhow my combine of preference would have to be an older Clayson...... ;) ;)

The farmer next door to ours told me a story once about a 780 they bought it brand new .Had nothing but trouble with it and traded it for a clayson.  ;)

Moral of the story is he has still got the clayson and it still comes out every year to do a bit along side a newer new nolland ;)

never mind the make, those 780's and all there differnet incarnations are one of the first proper combines in farm history, before clayson ect, hence the need to keep a bit of farming history,i know our farm's had 2 ,one at each of the big farms in there day,which sent one to the smaller one after they had done , and one was good one was bad according to my uncles, so it proves something i guess,

My father bought one new 'when he were a lad' it was a bit unreliable to say the least. I reckon that one looks worse than it actually is. :)

I'd agree with you there John as ours doesn't look that bad from that distance but is terrible up close :D

My father bought one new 'when he were a lad' it was a bit unreliable to say the least. I reckon that one looks worse than it actually is. :)

father bought a second hand one in early 60s, ran it for a year doing our own & a bit of contracting & earned enough with it to pay cash for a new CLAAS SF the following year.

father bought a second hand one in early 60s, ran it for a year doing our own & a bit of contracting & earned enough with it to pay cash for a new CLAAS SF the following year.

Sensible chap  your farther ;)