Ray Larrington Bale Cutter......

NewHolland2

But crab steer makes it follow an offset path to the tractor. I can see why they need to steer for manoeverablity but why would you have it set in crab mode going up and down the rows, is it so the machine doesn't follow the tractors wheelings to reduce compaction or something?

in those pics it isent in the rows and by the looks of it it has came out of the row hence why the wheels are in turned but i think there was just a bit of straw left in the machine so they have just cleared it out so tht will explain the pile of straw behind it

If you think of it like an 8 wheeler lorry, both the front axles steer on one of them to help it manouvre so this is basically the same, if you left the 8 wheeler with the wheels turned it would look like crab steer on the front. You do have to stand next to these machines to see how long they are really. I know there will be some working not far from Matty soon as i was carting muck there the other day and saw a big field of carrots with straw stacked up waiting :);)

Thats right about an 8 legger Gav but thats coz the two axles are the only steering axle. On a rear steer artic lorry(similar configuration to this) the wheels steer in oppisite directions to the units own steer axle. Like a teleporter in 4 wheel steer mode. If the tractor steers to the right and so too does this thing it's pulling, it won't go round corners!! Try it with your toys!! One axle has to steer to the left to follow the other to the right like on slurry tankers. Or a spud lifter, the axle turns opposite direction to the tractor to swing it around.

I know I'm right!!!

• 2 weeks later...

well he is based in co armagh but has 70 or 80 acres of carrots in scotland gets a contractor with a pile of deutz's to do most of the work. a mate of mine works to him and he also rents ground near dublin and carts the carrots back to his yard with tvt's and cvx's

Thats right about an 8 legger Gav but thats coz the two axles are the only steering axle. On a rear steer artic lorry(similar configuration to this) the wheels steer in oppisite directions to the units own steer axle. Like a teleporter in 4 wheel steer mode. If the tractor steers to the right and so too does this thing it's pulling, it won't go round corners!! Try it with your toys!! One axle has to steer to the left to follow the other to the right like on slurry tankers. Or a spud lifter, the axle turns opposite direction to the tractor to swing it around.

I know I'm right!!!

I think the problem Tris is having is that in the picture you can see that the wheels of the trailer are turned as if it is going around a corner, but the wheels of the tractor and the drawbar are straight ahead, leading to the question, why is the trailer steering when the tractor is not? This made me think the exact same thing as Tris about crab steer when I looked at it.

The answer may be that, as you can see there is no-one in the cab, so maybe the driver swung around, straightened out, and stopped the engine before the wheels had a chance to steer themselves back to straight. Also, I'm not too familiar with these steering trailer set-ups, but looking at some of them, they seem to operate on a semi-hydraulic system, where the natural forces on the wheel steer the axle. This may be the explanation, but since I've only looked at that set-up on a trailer with one steering and one/two fixed axles, it might not be the same as for a pair of steering axles as seen here. 8)