Brass

FW

Question

19 answers to this question

I make all my chassis out of brass, all you need is a modellers mitre block and solder iron from tool station and your away.  I would say a couple things. make sure all the loints are clean and get a liquid flux makes the job neater and stronger

I make all my chassis out of brass, all you need is a modellers mitre block and solder iron from tool station and your away.  I would say a couple things. make sure all the loints are clean and get a liquid flux makes the job neater and stronger

Righto, got all of that. Thanks for the advice.  :) Oh and wheres the best place to buy it? Homebase any use?  :-\

I've never been able to get on with brass myself and find Plastruct and styrene sheet alot easier to work with, its cheaper as well, just depends what you want to do with it at the end of the day

Well I would say, but want the model to be unique- so all in good time.  ;):)

Buying brass is easier on the highstreet than plastruct as areomodellers and trains do use it

Yeah I'll have a look over the week-end.  ;)

What sorta money do you think for about 5-10mm tube?

Can't remember off hand but i seem to remember that it is quite expensive

But your models will be far superior in strength to plastruct

It's Horses for corses    SPEED=Plastruct      STRENGTH=Brass

But it is also a good idea to mix and match when Scratch building      Super glue sticks them both too each other

Can't remember off hand but i seem to remember that it is quite expensive

But your models will be far superior in strength to plastruct

It's Horses for corses     SPEED=Plastruct       STRENGTH=Brass

But it is also a good idea to mix and match when Scratch building      Super glue sticks them both too each other

Yeah thats the idea, thanks for confirming it- 'T' bar on brass tube for the strength.  :)

Not hot enough is my first guess... and try silver solder not normal solder  ;)

I don't think that it its heat, as I had it going for at least half an hour before and the solder is maplins lead free solder, just won't stick before my clumsiness jogs it.  :-\

I am sure you need Silver Solder... and I know that needs a lot of heat  ;)

Nope... all you need is Bakers fluid to coat the area to be soldered so it cleans it off and helps to make the solder flow, leave it on for several minutes. I used to have the same problem,.... core the trade secrets I give you lot! :)

Nope... all you need is Bakers fluid to coat the area to be soldered so it cleans it off and helps to make the solder flow, leave it on for several minutes. I used to have the same problem,.... core the trade secrets I give you lot! :)

What is Bakers fluid?  :)