1/32nd John Deere 9860STS Bullet Rotor "Shelf version" combine

Jason B

Hi

Well, I thought that I would follow up my previous review of the 9760STS Bullet Rotor Collector Edition with a review of the 9860STS Bullet Rotor, which "followed me home" from the dealer about an hour ago. As a big John Deere combine fan, I was debating weather or not to purchace the 9860STS Bullet Rotor Shelf  edition combine, but decided to go ahead with it, since I have all the other "Bullet Rotor" combines in 1/64th and 1/32nd( minus the 9880STS "High Performance Rotor" European combine, which I hope to aquire soon once the toy dealer I ordered it from gets it in). Anyway here is my review of the 9860STS "Bullet Rotor" shelf edition. Unlike the Collector 9760STS, it has no handrails, warning lights, or warning decals, which is a let down, however this model is ment as a toy for kid's to play with, so this was to be expected. However the model still has some nice features, the rear wheels steer like the Collector model( thank goodness for that) and the feader house raises and lowers. The 9860STS comes with both a 30foot flexhead and 12 row corn head. Like the heads on the 9760 collector, the heads with the 9860, still have that very thin belt that drives the real on the flexhead. This I think needs to change as this belt breaks very easily( however not noticible if the model is sitting on the shelf). The belt on my 9860's nor 9760's head have not yet broke but they look like they won't last too long. The cab detail on the 9860STS "Shelf version" is pretty decent with some good detail( alot better then the 2266 put out a few years ago). One big change that convinced me to buy the shelf 9860STS Bullet Rotor was the unloading auger. Unlike the 9760 Collector which has the folding unloading auger, the shelf model has the "Standard" non-folding unloading auger. Over here in the States the "Standard" auger is still very common on new Bullet Rotor combines, over the dubble fold auger. Main reason for this is simple.... cost of the dubble fold auger option. This was a nice surprise, I only wished they did one of the 1/64th Bullet Rotor combines with the standard auger as well. In general the 9860STS Bullet Rotor may not be a UH model nor not as detailed as the 9760STS Collector, but it still has some nice detail and features to desired. One thing I forgot to mention was the 9860STS Shelf model keeps the power-cast straw chopper/spreader like on the 9760STS Collector but lacks the added paint detail. Also the cab access ladder still swings in and out despite having no handrails, another nice feature of the shelf 9860STS Bullet Rotor. Quality control on my model was pretty good although there was the usual scratches, this time they unfortunately ended up on the unloading auger. They are minor but still a little disapointing. One change that I would make for future "Shelf" models would be to remove the GPS reciver on the cab roof to futher make the Shelf models different from the Collector model. Although I still much prefer the Collector 9760STS, I still say that the 9860STS Shelf is truly a decent model and should not be overlooked by combine collectors or even 1/32nd collectors in general. I give the 9860STS Bullet Rotor "Shelf" version a 7.5 out of 10. I would have given the model an 8 out of 10, but the quality issue held me back. Other then that It is a nice machine, and even though not a "Collectors Edition" it is a whole lot better then the 1/32nd 2266 which was also a "shelf" combine.Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my unit yet, but the following websites have pictures of an indentical unit: 

www.actionfarmtoys.com

www. outbacktoys.com 

www.Alsfarmtoys.com( has a picture of one in the box)

Take Care Jason B