They tell me these were rubbish... Looks like Sandy soil is good for them !

Back in the eighties Opico made or sold a plough which worked something along those lines. It had four almost flat, angled mouldboards which had a plastic liner over them, probably made of teflon or something similar. The idea was similar in as much as you could produce a one pass operation of ploughing and seed bed preparation at quite a high forward speed. I don't think we ever sold one down here in Sussex as the clay type land was too hard for it to work well. One farm I demonstrated it on was very successful as it had lighter soil, more silt based.

If I remember correctly, I demonstrated it on a Ford 8630 when they were first on release with the new powershift gearbox. :-*:-*

Has anyone got a collection of Opico leaflets that may show this machine?

• 3 weeks later...

Found a pic of the square plough  ;D

M00785_1.jpg

the original idea behind these was to suposedly revolutionise reversable ploughing , bit like the centerbeam mower, designed to work either side of the tractor,the plough would be used like a normal plough , but unlike a normal reversable which swings over , this one just moved side ways to the desired setting , as it swung to the opposite side , a mechanical linkage would move the mould boards to the right place , bit like a self leveling loader . have seen one used at a display in 89/90 ?, but not known anyone who has farmed properly with them .

the original idea behind these was to suposedly revolutionise reversable ploughing , bit like the centerbeam mower, designed to work either side of the tractor,the plough would be used like a normal plough , but unlike a normal reversable which swings over , this one just moved side ways to the desired setting , as it swung to the opposite side , a mechanical linkage would move the mould boards to the right place , bit like a self leveling loader . have seen one used at a display in 89/90 ?, but not known anyone who has farmed properly with them .

I had a demo of one of those around 1990 (?) It was OK if you could keep the speed around 10k (where you needed 130 hp) and the soil was light or dry. In moist/heavy land it either clogged up or rose out of the ground and made a really poor job.

Great for OSR in a dry year..... :)