Britains Buildings

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for 3 that I found on eBay last week tucked away in an obscure listing. I believe these are the Hugar ones, blacksmiths and wheelwright combined shed, single stable and combined cart linhay and a pigsty. Saved the pictures.

BlacksmithsAndWheelwrightShed.jpg

StableLinhay.jpg

Pigsty.jpg

I've seen the wheelwright/smith one before somewhere, not sure where though. Looked a bit home made to me, maybe the signage was added latter. A lot of the early buildings look homemade or even, dare I say it, crude  :o This does give them a sort of naive charm, I think. Are they attributable to any manufacturer?

I've seen the wheelwright/smith one before somewhere, not sure where though. Looked a bit home made to me, maybe the signage was added latter. A lot of the early buildings look homemade or even, dare I say it, crude  :o This does give them a sort of naive charm, I think. Are they attributable to any manufacturer?

No, in the description the chap seemed to believe they were made for Britain's, if that's anything to go by, he did say that they were 1:32 in scale so perhaps they are Hugar. The pics of them were very good and showed them up well so I thought they were worth going for, like you say 'naieve charm'. Will look good with the apropriate lead models with them and you don't see these very often. I will probably know a bit more when I get them and able to scrutinise closer.

The buildings that I got from eBay came today so I thought this was the best place to start posing them up.

This one, for now, is the one that I beleive may be by Hugar. It looks a little too 'professional' to be a 'home made' job. The wording on it has been stencilled on and although it is rather 'rustic' looking it has been built very neatly. I have 'posed' some lead items with it to give you an idea to see that the scale is correct for 1:32 and compliment the building rather well.

BlacksmithShop.jpg

Hey PR they look much better with some models posed on them, brings them to life so to speak  :)

Thats a nice early farm cart, is it the paler blue as per some of the four wheeled wagons?

Yes the cart is I believe the early one as it has the 'knock-out' board bottom. I've got the darker blue one with solid bottom and the green one with the red/orange wheels with rubber tyres as well but all have the wrong horse, they should all have the thinner pony with raised front leg and arched neck but they are hard to find. I do have one with the correct horse and thats the pre-war farmers gig with the farmer without a whip. Still looking for the milk cart but will probably find one sometime. I have quite a lot of the horse-drawn stuff, perhaps we should start a new topic on this?, or is there one, I forget now!

• 2 months later...

Here are a couple of buildings that I bought at the little local toy fair yesterday. The first one is very interesting. It is a 'production' building but I'm not certain what make it is, it may be by Hugar as there is a serial number on the base, you might not be able to make it out too well by the pic but it is 15110-E. There is a feeding trough in the front and you can see by the pictures that there is a side door and an opening flap on the back to put the pigs in. Notice the hinges and the catch on the back. Oh, it's a pigsty and made of wood. A little larger I would say than 1:32.

Second building, well, speaks for itself really, a chicken house.. American influence I reckon with the 'rooster' loft. I've put a lead chicken on it to give you an idea of the scale. Made of wood, no clues as to the maker.

PigsHouse01.jpg

PigsHouseRear.jpg

PigsHouseNumberOnBase.jpg

Bought from a nice lady who kindly offered it to me as I had previously purchased another old farm building from her on eBay a few months ago.   This setup has obviously been professionaly made but I have'nt a clue to what make it is. Obviously old and pre-war I reckon. Have posed a few of the Britain's old lead items with it to give an idea of the scale, very compatable I wolud say.  8)  The paint is 'textured' and knobbly, the cottage walls are like they are rough-cast and the foof is textured as well, the back of it is open. The well handle winding mechanism works and the shed that the horse is poking out of has 2 stall divisions, probably more like cow-stalls than for horses. The pigs house roof, although looking white in the photo, is the same as the cow shed. All nailed together with panel pins, no glue.

HomeFarm.jpg

Hey PR what happened to the chicken house in the previous post?

My dad has a couple, I think, of farm yards that are similar to this. I was of the impression that they were post war, but I suppose that we will never know as they never appear to be marked ???

Super6.  Yes, I wondered what happened to the picture of the chicken house! Was sure I posted it up so I'm not going mad after all, I'll post it up again and hope it does'nt dissapear again.  I would love to know if these old wooden buildings that are not marked were produced commercialy as there does seem to be quite a few around and they do come to light from time to time, someone will know something about them I'm sure.

HenHouse.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yep,  its fascinating and frustrating in equal measure trying to discover who made these old buildings. A few points to add to the discussion:

(1) It is believed (by Messrs Joplin & Opie, among others) that Hugar (who certainly did make the farm, zoo & military buildings fo Britains circa 1937-40) had gone out of business before Britains' 1958 & 1960 farm buildings (158F > 170F & 500F > 505F), which must therefore have been made by someone else. Other buildings in the same style exist, and some of us have a few of them - but the identity of the company remains a mystery.

(2) I think the blacksmith/wheelwright shop was made by Peacock & Co Ltd, 3 Adelaide Terrace & 2 Prebend Street, Islington, London N1, circa 1927-37. They also did a butchers shop with the name 'A. Rib', so the penchant for punning suggests a link. (source 'A to Z of Dollshouses' by Marion Osborne)

(3) I think the small shed (hen house? pig sty?) '15110-E' is either Elastolin or a copy by someone else. I haven't seen this version before, but Elastolin certainly made one of similar basic design earlier, with their characteristic  textured surface, which they repeated much later in plastic, also textured. This simpler wooden version could have been made in between, circa 1945-55 perhaps?

• 3 months later...

I reckon this to be 97F Country Cottage. From the 1972 Almark reprint of the 1940 catalogue. They are not shown in the reprint 1939 catalogue so may have been first issued in 1940, although Joe Wallis lists it as 1939-41. Not many of these made/sold I should imagine.

I do not know who made this building but it is not a britains one.

The 97F country cottage is in the britains civilian toy figures book from Norman Joplin another house. So are there two different buildings with the same number?

I think that was a mistake by Joplin. The cottage on the previous page is 97F. The cottage you've illustrated was made by the unknown company who made the Britains buildings in 1958 (158F to 170F) and 1960-62 (500F to 505F), a range of their own (this cottage is one of those) and a small range (of 4, cottage, stable, open barn & pig sty) for a promotion offer for Ready Brek (so I'm told by our Cornish expert).

I bought this of eBay. Anyone have any ideas who made it?

Picture081.jpg

Might be in the same range as the Crescent hen house in Joplin's blue book?

The cottage you've illustrated was made by the unknown company who made the Britains buildings in 1958 (158F to 170F) and 1960-62 (500F to 505F), a range of their own (this cottage is one of those) and a small range (of 4, cottage, stable, open barn & pig sty) for a promotion offer for Ready Brek (so I'm told by our Cornish expert).

RE the Ready Brek offer, does our Cornish expert have any paperwork to confirm this?