Britains Buildings

I must admit that I do rather like these older type farm buildings as they are more 'hand-built', rather rustic and naive in construction and paint finish and when 'dressed' with an appropriate setting of the old lead figures really shows them off well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll pass on the Tri-ang Farm, but some details if anyone else is interested: This is their large farm 'Set No. 2, Cat. 7756', just made 1954-56. rare, but as many said, a bit primitive.

I have 3 of the buildings (bungalow, shed & hen house, missing the barn, a slightly lower version of this one, as posted recently in this thread) from their smaller farm set No.1 7757 (1954-58), and the 4 ranch buildings (ranch house, bunk house [missing separate verandah], barn & shed) Cat. 7516, just made 1954-56. All for sale (Yes, I am running out of space) PM me for details.

These two farms and one ranch constitute Tri-ang's entire range of 1/32 toy buildings apart from their well known and extensive range of castles. Tri-ang dolls houses are, we know, a whole collecting field of their own, especially their 'Stockbroker' range. 

The Binbak Riding School is indeed the same one I've got, but just in case, Mandy please PM or email me the price.

I'm more interested in the zoo, so again Mandy, please PM or email price.

Or are all going on eBay?

They are indeed Timpo railings, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a Timpo zoo as Barton's & probably others, who were all wood toy makers (inc dolls houses etc) bought in railings wholesale from Britains and/or Timpo for their zoos. I have a couple of tentative ideas which company might have made the zoo, but  a long way from certain.

Thanks for the info, David. Did your riding stables have a clock tower originally? That's the only difference I could see at first glance :-\

I'm going to put the Tri-ang set on eBay, as being a complete set I think it's the best place for it. I love the 'Russian Doll' system of all the buildings storing in the one barn and even better now I have a bit more info... so thanks again for that :)

I'll pm you regarding the zoo. And that was the piece I was least interested in ::)

There are no marks on my Riding School roof to indicate a clock tower was ever fixed on.

Is yours fixed? or loose & just 'sitting' there?

If fixed, perhaps yours is an earlier example, and they stopped the clock later to make packing easier. Sticking up like that it would have easily been damaged/knocked off, and needed a bigger box for no great 'play value' benefit. 

There are no marks on my Riding School roof to indicate a clock tower was ever fixed on.

Is yours fixed? or loose & just 'sitting' there?

If fixed, perhaps yours is an earlier example, and they stopped the clock later to make packing easier. Sticking up like that it would have easily been damaged/knocked off, and needed a bigger box for no great 'play value' benefit.

It's firmly fixed, David. Just been speaking to Nick on the phone about it... really tempted to keep it... even just for a little while :)

Will have to look out for those Tri-ang buildings, they look good.

I know this topic is farm orientated and Britains is in the title but we have all seemed to be posting up our other makes of old buildings as well so I might as well go a step further and share this one with you all. I have no clue as to its maker and would guess that it dates to the first quarter of the 20th Century. Smaller in scale but still a decent size. A rather pretty village or Country thatched cottage that you would of expected to see in a rural setting in the halcyon days of the past. Lift the roof and it plays Brahms' lullaby.  Yes, it's a musical box. (Reuge musical movement wound by key under the base) Just purchased a very similar one in the exact same style which is a thatched village shop but waiting for that one to arrive.

ThatchedCottage01.jpg

ThatchedCottage02.jpg

ThatchedCottage03.jpg

Pretty item, and as I imagine these were sometimes used as toys by kids, they 'qualify' for this thread as far as I'm concerned. The same applies to certain antique, and very valuable, biscuit tins in the shape of farm houses, cottages, and there was one of a greenhouse, litho'd full of plants, which were also used as toys after the biscuits had been eaten.

Kids in all but the richest families had to improvise their toys 50+ years ago, so perhaps us collectors nowadays have to think laterally when deciding what to include in our collections. 

Biscuit and manufacturers of other types of foodstuffs, breakfast cerials are a good example, were very clever as I remember years ago the packaging was sometimes printed with things, like buildings, that you could cut out and assemble. Clever marketing ploy to get mothers to buy certain products aimed at children that had a 'dual purpose'. Several biscuit manufacturers have recently started producing these tins again, nothing like the originals though!

A little small for cigars Mandy, compartment is just under "5 long, just under 2"1/2 wide and 3/4" deep and the 'base' that covers the musical movement is brown felt covered. I would say that it's more of a trinket box. I have started a small collection of musical boxes since finding an old Swiss Chalet type one for 50p at a bootsale a couple of weeks ago, how sad am I?! I've always had an interest in them but have never given them any more than a passing thought until now. Some of them have pretty little tunes but when I buy one I always make sure that the comb has all its teeth and that the movement is working as these can be a bit expensive to replace, if they are a little 'sluggish' a very light aplication of clock oil will get them up to speed again. I think that 50 or 60 years ago almost every teenage girl had a musical trinket/jewelry box with a 'dancing' ballerina.

The shop arrived today. It's exactly the same type as the cottage and is obviously by the same manufacturer. On this one there is a very feignt stencil on the base, a name and 'handmade in' and that's all I can decipher at the moment, I'll have to study it under a different light. This one plays 'Greensleeves'. I wonder wheather there was a series of these music box buildings made, I'll certainly be on the look out.

VillageShop01.jpg

VillageShop02.jpg

VillageShop03.jpg

So at least these two, probably more, cottage style music trinket boxes eh? I'll keep a look out for them around the fairs (I'll leave it to you to look on ebay). What sort of prices are you paying for these? (You can PM the answer to that if you prefer.) As you're in Devon & I'm in Somerset, it's not a million miles for you to collect or us to meet do some swapsies if the occasion requires. 

Thanks David. I go to all the toy fairs at Westpoint Exeter, don't know if you go as well. I don't mind revealing what I paid for these as it will give everone an idea of what you can get them for and I'm all for sharing. I paid £4.27 + £3 p&p for the cottage one and £7.25 for the 'shoppe' with free p&p. I reckon that between £10 and £12 would be a pretty good price to pay for them but I suppose like everything else, depends on what a seller would be asking but knowing what I paid for these gives you a bit of haggling ammo. I went to a large antiques fair last Saturday, also at Westpoint, loads and loads of pretty wooden boxes and tea caddies there on stalls but only saw 3 musical boxes, one was a bit of tat but I bought the other 2 which were on the same stall, smallish highly polished laquered inlaid 'sorento' ware. Just don't see them about much around nowadays.

After about an hour researching, or should I say searching, I have now got a difinitive ID on these thatched music boxes. Made by someone called Pauline Ralf dating from around the 1970's, Barnstable (North Devon) seems to be the suggested location for her 'studio'. She produced a series of these musical boxes, others being a pub, mill, larger cottage and another type of shop so they are out there.

• 2 weeks later...

The address on the label (The Barn.......) dates this garage to 1972 or after. Bill Baker left the business then, so Jack Binns & his wife kept going by moving to smaller premises, a barn behind their house, then. Jack died suddenly in 1987, but his wife battled on with loyal staff (she had been doing all the admin for years anyway) until 1991, when her sister died, and she had to concentrate on running the family property business. And that was the end of Binbak.

They had started in 1946, and in their good years had produced 300-400 forts/castles per year, plus all the other stuff (garages, doll shops, farmyards, etc. Perhaps a total of 1000+ items annually?). I wonder how many have survived to 2011?   

• 8 months later...