Nuffield 342

ruskigman

Hi guys, havent been on for a while but im back! I have just got myself an 1961 Nuffield 342 in need of restoration and I wondered if any of you knew much worth knowing about these models, plus any pics of restored ones. I will try to post some pictures, but my computer is playing up at the momment. Any replies will be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou,

ruskigman

Hi guys, havent been on for a while but im back! I have just got myself an 1961 Nuffield 342 in need of restoration and I wondered if any of you knew much worth knowing about these models, plus any pics of restored ones. I will try to post some pictures, but my computer is playing up at the momment. Any replies will be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou,

ruskigman

Nice to hear someone say they have bought a great classic/vintage tractor ;D

I used to have its bigger brother, a 1963 4/60. I do still have a workshop manual and I believe a parts manual for the tractor so may be able to help you out. It was sold when we moved house and had no where to keep it or the 1948 M3 model I also had. Think that I may syill have some gaskets and other bits and pieces to suit about here :);)

Don't know too much about Nuffields - how much is interchangeable with 4/60 or 10/60? As I have friend who has a piles of spares for those two  :)

The rear end is the same I believe along with steering parts, the only difference is the mudguards are smaller and the engine is a 3 cylinder on the 3/42 (3 cyl/42hp or 4cyl/60hp hence the model numbers on the earlier ones, the 10 standing for gears on the later ones)

Thankyou,

ruskigman

If you are looking for spares manuals you could try

John Charnley & sons www.charnleys.com or

Old 20 parts company www.old20.com

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys. Now i am looking for a second hand engine for my 3/42, wondered if you knew the best place to look. Thanks

Hi the first tractor i drove was a nuffield holds a lot of memorys for me, Good luck with your new project,There is a place just down the road from me that might be able to help ? ;D

Just found the www

http://www.patrickedwardsmachinery.co.uk/sb/Displaycompany.do?p=homepage&id=SB0002675309000090

all the best steve

Ok guys. Now i am looking for a second hand engine for my 3/42, wondered if you knew the best place to look. Thanks

Whats up with the original engine then?

Last time i was in a local dealers yard he had a couple of Nuffield scrappers in there so i'll gladly go have a look for you :)

Well gv, the liners for the cylinders have rusted right through at the top. I rang our local farm parts, and there 40 a time! 3x40= 120 squids! I have been told a new engine will be from ?150-?200 and with a hairline crack where the head studs go in, i thought i might look for a new engine. Yeah by all means have a look gav, i would appreciate it. Give me a shout if you find any gold!

Thanks