Did you really have to have a farm worker ride on the back ???

Have you ever spent time on the footplate of a Massey drill?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever spent time on the footplate of a Massey drill?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sign me up Nashmach!

Think it's about 1956......was used until about 5 years ago (not by me!) A couple of coulters need repairing but all else is sound.

It's just moved from the sometime/never storage to 'pending repainting'  :D :D

post-300-132638666424_thumb.jpg

When me and my Father drilled a field of barley one of us always had to 'ride' the drill to operate the handle, it was an old 13 coulter horse drill, 'the Knapp one horse drill' made by L.R. knapp & Co. Oxon, adapted to tractor drawbar. The handle would raise and lower the coulters or more accurately hollow feet with a bolt-on steel toe, in and out of the ground and when the handle was raisecd it would put the seed feeding mechanism out of gear and the further down you put the handle the deeper you planted the corn.  I think that the rear platform or step on most of the later drills were a 'left over' from the early ones and was also there for you to get up and empty the bags of seed in the drill. I don't think steps of some form or another were completely dropped up until the pneumatic type of drills came in.