Did you really have to have a farm worker ride on the back ???

Have you ever spent time on the footplate of a Massey drill?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever spent time on the footplate of a Massey drill?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sign me up Nashmach!

I would guess to make sure it all keeps working correctly and to tell the driver when it was getting empty so they didn't end up in the middle of the field with an empty tank......

Either that or the picture was taken at a demonstration and the farmer was just keeping a close eye......

:) :) ;)

He,s there to keep an eye on things make sure it did,nt block up etc and help fill it up when empty from a big big bag of seed ( needed 2 men to lift it ) He was more than likely a spare man at the time but in them days you did,nt lay him off you found him something to do 52 weeks of the year and he would have stayed loyal to you all his life,Prodably the old Horseman,salt of the earth.So the answer is yes you did have to have a farm worker (MAN) ride on the back

Marky I know I,m going on a bit but that picture is haunting me,look at the size of that field there must be 70 or 80 acres there and that driver dont need no satalite tracking to keep his draw straight.One day I,ll tell you how he did it then you can use the same when you start ploughin

What date is that Mark? I've got one of those drills branded MH but no plate on it. Thought about 1955?

I think it may have been a carry over from the very early horse drills when the drill man lifted the coulters etc.

Marky I know I,m going on a bit but that picture is haunting me,look at the size of that field there must be 70 or 80 acres there and that driver dont need no satalite tracking to keep his draw straight.One day I,ll tell you how he did it then you can use the same when you start ploughin

PM me then Brian... don't let them all know... I'll never become world champion otherwise..

What date is that Mark? I've got one of those drills branded MH but no plate on it. Thought about 1955?

I think it may have been a carry over from the very early horse drills when the drill man lifted the coulters etc.

No date on it John... but it does say both Massey Ferguson... and Massey Harris Ferguson... I reckon your date of 55 is not far out really...

PM me then Brian... don't let them all know... I'll never become world champion otherwise..Its something called the 5 clod rule marky nobody on here apart from me is old enuff to khow about it so dont worry they wont get their furrows as straight as yours

No date on it John... but it does say both Massey Ferguson... and Massey Harris Ferguson... I reckon your date of 55 is not far out really...

Many moons ago when I did drilling our boss used to come down to the field after his liquid lunch and stand on the back of the drill,we always had a set of harrows behind the drill and he used to worry me really bad in case the old b-gger fell off and went under the harrows.Never did though

Many moons ago when I did drilling our boss used to come down to the field after his liquid lunch and stand on the back of the drill,we always had a set of harrows behind the drill and he used to worry me really bad in case the old b-gger fell off and went under the harrows.Never did though

:o :o doesn't really bear thinking about that one Brian... would make a mess for sure...  :o

Spent many happy spring days riding around on the back of a MF 30 drill with tramliner and afterharrow. You had to keep the seed and fertiliser level and decide when to fill up or if you would get away with another run. Also you had to keep an eye on the pipes to ensure none were blocked and spread the seed when coming to the end of the field. The tramliner was a sort of home-made mechanical system so you would have to hop down to reset the tramliner if the drill had to be lifted in the middle of a run, and ensure that it was on the right part of the cycle when starting off the field. In, short, you'd be kept busy so definitely, yes, you would want a man(boy) on the drill ;D ;D ;D

• 7 months later...