One for the oldies, what is a Strake ?

In repect of a device used to improve tracton on two wheel drive tractors.

Have heard this refered to a few times but have no idea what it is.

Those who are long time readers of Classic Tractor, if you recall the article about the Leyalnd with the mid mounted reach mower that had done very high hours. The owner used a strake to improve tracton.

A set of spike/ blade like devices which are extended past the side of the wheel and tyre when in the field and retracted for road work.  The set I remember was retracted and extended by slackening some bolts then driving forward. might be able to find picture over weekend

David

The ones i know of work like Dwross said.. 4 or 6 bolts you slackend of then drove forward and they flickout.. Ihad some on my fordson but i got rid of that tractor ( she was getting water in the oil...there are realy good for extra traction

A set of spike/ blade like devices which are extended past the side of the wheel and tyre when in the field and retracted for road work.  The set I remember was retracted and extended by slackening some bolts then driving forward. might be able to find picture over weekend

David

I agree too - only one was required on the 'land side' of the tractor  ;)

" Double the POWER of your tractor with OPPERMAN "Quickgrip"

Tractor Strakes

IN and OUT of action  with the flick of lever

Fig 1.6 Opperman strakes were made for most popular makes of tractor during the 1950s

Illscan the pic later This was taken from . Fifty Years of farm machinery

Brian bell

DENZIL SKINNER even made a set to fit to his 1/16 Nuffield Universal BMC dealer-only promo model, I think they were the DARVILL design/manufacture. I have ploughed up "shed" strakes in the past, the type that were individually extended and setscrew pinched in position on heavy cast lugs as opposed to the all steel type that all extended together when activated.

David

A company called Stanhay made them. I think they were made in Essex and were painted a Mid blue colour. They were retractable by undoing the two nuts in the centre and reversing the tractor. They worked nearly as good as four wheel drive on our 3000.

Not sure if Stanhay are still going but if my memory serves me well, I think they used to make potato planters and harvesters too. ::)I also think the Stanhay strakes were called "Stanhay Darvill"