Meet Alice the Allis

the other green

hey TOG

That tractor is ridiculously 70's, I like the way the bonnet is all curvy and the cab all angles - its like the cab and bonnet designers met and decided on one common angle to use, then never saw each other again, strangely though i like it, must be the sticky out wheels  :)

Few questions  ;D

What are the interior conditions like?

How much does something like that cost?

and a general Q - are the heaters on your tractors standard? looks quite cold!

Mucho mucho 70s IHP  ;D You either like it or you don't eh? ;)

Inside, it's what you'd expect, a palace compared to what was available before ie; bolt-on cabs and wrapped over the bonnet cabs or a garden shed compared to tractors from the '90s. Its a bu**er to get into and out of because the door doesn't really open wide enough. Also, the top half of the door slopes inwards and tapers towards the top too. Just not fun but when it was built, the designers would be thinking that the operator would be getting in and staying there for a day's cultivating not piling in and out cutting net/string off hay bales then jumping back on. The cab is tall and narrow so not fun if the ground is rough, you have to watch that your head doesn't end up bouncing off the side windows  ;)

The steering wheel tilts and telescopes, it would be impossible to get in and out if it didn't. The range and powershift/reverse levers are conveniently to hand at the front of the right side console and an owner-installed joystick is situated above them. There is also a foot throttle which is a bit of a surprise in a tractor that big and that old. Visibility is, well, let's say you can see out and leave it at that ;)

All in all, the cab is okay from a user's point of view but a bit small when compared to its peers of the day. This one has been looked after and all the sound insulation, switches and knobs for levers are all there. Let's say it'll do but I wouldn't want to spend all day in 'er. :) Compare it to JD's Soundgard cab which came out at about the same time  ::)

We paid about 4000 pounds for Alice complete with front end loader, bucket, grapple and bale spear (which are quick-attatch) Considering the condition, we're happy with that. It may have been 500-750 cheaper if it had been in worse condition and at a consignment auction but those tend to come back to bite you later. A few people have commented that the loader is worth as much as the tractor, they might not be wrong........

Tractor heaters are standard. Almost everything from the mid '70s on is advertised as C,A,H,R  Cab, Air Conditioning, Heater, Radio. They are the same heater as the rest of the world gets, as far as I know. I know of one or two lads who have put auxilliary heaters in cabs, usually from old school buses. Air cooled Deutz tractors weren't too popular as winter feeding tractors because their cab heaters weren't too efficient when it got quite cold, say, -20 or colder.

Hope this is informative  :)

Mucho mucho 70s IHP  ;D You either like it or you don't eh? ;)

Inside, it's what you'd expect, a palace compared to what was available before ie; bolt-on cabs and wrapped over the bonnet cabs or a garden shed compared to tractors from the '90s. Its a bu**er to get into and out of because the door doesn't really open wide enough. Also, the top half of the door slopes inwards and tapers towards the top too. Just not fun but when it was built, the designers would be thinking that the operator would be getting in and staying there for a day's cultivating not piling in and out cutting net/string off hay bales then jumping back on. The cab is tall and narrow so not fun if the ground is rough, you have to watch that your head doesn't end up bouncing off the side windows  ;)

The steering wheel tilts and telescopes, it would be impossible to get in and out if it didn't. The range and powershift/reverse levers are conveniently to hand at the front of the right side console and an owner-installed joystick is situated above them. There is also a foot throttle which is a bit of a surprise in a tractor that big and that old. Visibility is, well, let's say you can see out and leave it at that ;)

All in all, the cab is okay from a user's point of view but a bit small when compared to its peers of the day. This one has been looked after and all the sound insulation, switches and knobs for levers are all there. Let's say it'll do but I wouldn't want to spend all day in 'er. :) Compare it to JD's Soundgard cab which came out at about the same time  ::)

We paid about 4000 pounds for Alice complete with front end loader, bucket, grapple and bale spear (which are quick-attatch) Considering the condition, we're happy with that. It may have been 500-750 cheaper if it had been in worse condition and at a consignment auction but those tend to come back to bite you later. A few people have commented that the loader is worth as much as the tractor, they might not be wrong........

Tractor heaters are standard. Almost everything from the mid '70s on is advertised as C,A,H,R  Cab, Air Conditioning, Heater, Radio. They are the same heater as the rest of the world gets, as far as I know. I know of one or two lads who have put auxilliary heaters in cabs, usually from old school buses. Air cooled Deutz tractors weren't too popular as winter feeding tractors because their cab heaters weren't too efficient when it got quite cold, say, -20 or colder.

Hope this is informative  :)

very interesting TOG. could you take of pics of our farm because would love to see how you run a suckler heard over the pond  :)