maize drill

Deeredriver

Yea its no tilling i have some pics of the ground i will get of my fone  where you can see the maize stalks from 2 years ago along with the  soy bean residue from last year

the only thing we do to these fields  is plant, spray ,harvest , and fill in the pivot tracks

not a lot of work to it really

but i will get lots more pics for you guys

this time of year is our busiest time  silly hrs begine

Nick

saw some maize drilling today Nick.. . a 130hp Case and a 6 row planter.. .

not quite gee'd up for your gear over here as you know!!! Nice photo mate, nice looking bit of kit. Does it fold or is it end tow?

seen some beening planted yesterday but didnt have time to get pics unfortunatly as there was a

6465 dyna 6 with a samco 4 row planter

5465 with the same planter

mccormick mtx and 3m lemken disc cultivator

a t7000 series with a 6m lemken power harrow

and a 7740 stone pickin and a 8240 with the seed trailer

Archbarch  some are  not too many that i know of ours isnt my boss doesnt belive in it

took him a year to get it inis head that lightbar would be handy for the sprayer

Deere est

is is a stack fold  4 out side row units each side go up into the air over the middle 8 rows  bit blumin wide and tall i recon for safe traveling( i will get pics to show you)

the lift wheels are needed just to lift the thing tractor can just about lift it but cant steer it

ill get more pics i swear ha ha!

Nick

we  put on the dry fert with  my bosses brothers dry terra gator he has 2 one with a spinner box on  and another with a boom type spreader  they put on the P and K

the tank on the front of the planting tractor puts on some strater fert

witch is  10,32,0 think this goes on at 5 gals acre

then i go behind with the sprayer terra gator  and put on the N  with the atrazine mixed in

that field there actually got 51 gals to the acre of 28% N

and 3 quarts to the acre of atrazine

Nick

really we use tons of it over here

after the wheat was cut last june i run over the whaet stubble

with round and 2.4dup  twice then the last spraying  that was in about oct had round up and atrazine to make it last out the winter

last year some fileds were  really weedy that we planted maize in and i had to spray gramoxone on wasnt really to enthused about that

Thanks for the info - very interesting. Helluva drill  :D

Somebody will correct me, but I think atrazine is now banned over here  :(

It certainly is John, something to do with too higher residue of it left in the soil i beleive :-\ Another good. effective chemical banned >:(

It certainly is John, something to do with too higher residue of it left in the soil i beleive :-\ Another good. effective chemical banned >:(

Funny in our Farming press last week there was an article about weed control in maize from a top expert saying atrazine is the best for most cases - next page an article entitled - Maize weed control - Post Atrazine :D :D

we  put on the dry fert with  my bosses brothers dry terra gator he has 2 one with a spinner box on  and another with a boom type spreader  they put on the P and K

the tank on the front of the planting tractor puts on some strater fert

witch is  10,32,0 think this goes on at 5 gals acre

then i go behind with the sprayer terra gator  and put on the N  with the atrazine mixed in

that field there actually got 51 gals to the acre of 28% N

and 3 quarts to the acre of atrazine

Nick

Interesting,thank you.

We use Atrazine on our maize in New zealand as well.

• 1 month later...

Funnily enough I saw an ad in Farmer's Weekly for a new Maize herbicide that looks as if it might be as good as Atrazine. I used to spray mine on after a long days silageing as we were so busy and the marker foam lasted better without the sun/hot soil fading it. Actually when it got dark I could see better without tractor lights (& no cab doors that time of year) as the foam blobs were easier to see with your eyes not having to keep adjusting to looking forward in lit area to then looking sideways for the blobs in unlit scenery, the white spray showing any jet malfunction better than in daylight.

The scareiest thing was going home 4 miles if up the other farm with the dual wheels still on at 1 am or so and only the 4000 headlights, trying to get past the narrow bits of road before any aproaching cars saw me and get off the road a bit. ::)

Atrazine is fine for the water ways and nature if you pratice a wide crop rotaion and take care with the rate and were you spray it I feel.

With carrots we use alot of Phorate to kill grass grubs that eat the carrots this dust that is spread on top of the beds at planting and then side dressed on later.It kills both grubs and worms also birds that eat the dead grubs,sure it kills both good and bad things but in the next crop the soil is much cleaner in terms of grubbs and nemetodes and the worms do come back exp in the fall when the straw is worked into the soil this will not happen again for 8 years so it's fine for nature I think. :)