Squatters

jdc

Afraid I lifted it out, put it on a shelf on the grain drier, about 4 feet from where the sprayer was, and hid the sprayer in another shed. It's a shame but they may come back to it. The mud was still wet so they wouldn't be laying for a day or two anyway  :(

Afraid I lifted it out, put it on a shelf on the grain drier, about 4 feet from where the sprayer was, and hid the sprayer in another shed. It's a shame but they may come back to it. The mud was still wet so they wouldn't be laying for a day or two anyway  :(

Pain 'aint it when birds nest in your equipment. If you see Mr. & Mrs Wagtail again you will have to tell them that if they want to nest in your machinery they will have to apply for planning.  ;) ;)

we had a nest of blue **** behind the fascia boards when we did the extension and rest of the house, carefully picked the nest up, and put it in a bird box, and refitted it back just under the new plastic stuff we fitted, they found it agin pretty quick, and have nested there every year now since, usally 2 lots a year to, so you never know mate

Reminds me years ago we used to have an old D.B. 30D, the only tractor we had and a Wren decided to build a nest in the recess between the brake pedal and clutch housing. Hard to believe I know but we were using the tractor every day and the Wren would not give up and the nest was just left where it was. My father went to jump up on the tractor one day and 17 baby Wrens decided it was time to leave home.

It's the Starlings up here that you need to watch out for. They nest under bonnets and around the engine. The last guy I was working for told me the feathery fiends caused a Zetor of his to go up in flames a number of years ago   >:(  beacause they nested under the bonnet when tractor was not being used. Then when he ran the tractor it caught fire

we had a nest of blue Boobies behind the fascia boards when we did the extension and rest of the house, carefully picked the nest up, and put it in a bird box, and refitted it back just under the new plastic stuff we fitted, they found it agin pretty quick, and have nested there every year now since, usally 2 lots a year to, so you never know mate

is that a rare breed then Sean :D :D :D :D ::)

• 3 weeks later...

It's the Starlings up here that you need to watch out for. They nest under bonnets and around the engine. The last guy I was working for told me the feathery fiends caused a Zetor of his to go up in flames a number of years ago   >:(  beacause they nested under the bonnet when tractor was not being used. Then when he ran the tractor it caught fire

I could've lost the majority of my cereal crop one year.

Bringing the Dominator back from winter storage at the other farm was sufficient to dry out a starlings nest unknown to me ontop of a run of the exhaust that is fully covered in, an area that has no need for any other acess, and after several years of ownership not had any reason to have inspected it. As I opened up the first field of W. barley (26 acres) I scented a wiff of burning (fortunately I had no cab) as I got to the top of the brow so whipped the header out of gear and jumped down to investigate,- the stubble (fortunately a bit grassy being headland) was  alight in a few places so split second decision do I climb back up and get the little fire extinguisher or try and stamp them out,(?) so, doing the latter I spotted embers dropping out of the side panelling so then went for the extinguisher which I managed to fire into the gap that the birds had used for access, (I now know,) but that blasted all the remaining glowings embers off the pipe and down onto the stubble which I had a devil of a job to stamp out as they all spread so close to the standing crop (only 11' cut). Well I won, fortunately.

There was no-one else around,(and before mobile phones)....what if the wind hadn't been behind me for me to smell the burning so early? There was 100 acres all in that block, needless to say subsequent years I checked for nests there before I even fired her up, and there was one there for several years. Phew!