Some Old Massey Grass Kit...

I have a brochure for this - apparently there was a mounted and a pull-type.  That bloke is trying to rotovate instead of mow by the looks of things!

Never knew they made this until last week... the 65 Rotary cutter... Now I would love one of these  :D

Oh yeah... I only just noticed that as well... well done  :D :D :D

Looks very like the early Opico Bush Hog. The Bush Hog had two very heavy swinging blades that were capable of cutting through just about anything. Rotovating---- no problem :D

There was another one made Called the Jungle Buster possibly made by or sold by Wolseley. I seem to remember one of them was offered with chains to mulch heavy undergrowth. ;)

They are nice Marky. I've got them in my own collection, along with a few others.

Just bought some really nice German MF brochures on eBay. There's some for the less-cab 200 Series as well as the MF 1200 and MF 1805 and the rare MF 560 (like the MF 550). They are all totally different to the English brochures. Haven't got them yet, though.

Regards

Rory

They are nice Marky. I've got them in my own collection, along with a few others.

Just bought some really nice German MF brochures on eBay. There's some for the less-cab 200 Series as well as the MF 1200 and MF 1805 and the rare MF 560 (like the MF 550). They are all totally different to the English brochures. Haven't got them yet, though.

Regards

Rory

Nice one Rory... can you post up the 560 when you get it... never even heard of a 560  :o

Looks very like the early Opico Bush Hog. The Bush Hog had two very heavy swinging blades that were capable of cutting through just about anything. Rotovating---- no problem :D

There was another one made Called the Jungle Buster possibly made by or sold by Wolseley. I seem to remember one of them was offered with chains to mulch heavy undergrowth. ;)

i have been useing a opico bush hog 7 years old i thing i was goinig to say the same thing the back wheels get a lot of teddy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm curious about these mowers with chains - how does that work?  Are the chains held underneath a beam which swings round like the blade or...any pics?  ;D

Not me james... sorry mate  :-[

Would like to see one as well.... can't imagine how they would work in the horizontal plane really  :-\

Umm some where on her PowerRabbit  has a topic aout one of his old time scratch build models and he was explaining how these chain versions worked, could have been in his claas mower topic, not sure

...I'm thinking a bit like a giant strimmer where centrifugal force straightens the chains out which whirl round...sounds odd though.

Here is what they are mate

Some did have a row of chains hanging in the front, these chains stopped the grass or whatever was being swiped from being blown forward onto the back of the tractor, some were fitted with a row of hanging hinged metal plates that did the same. I put 3 blades on the plate as it was simpler to do, some had a square plate with 4 blades like a disc mower, some had a round plate like a disc with 4 blades, others had just 3 heavy chains fitted to a sort of hub, these were for more rough cutting like scrub and gorse then there were others fitted with just a long flat single wide heavy blade. the gearbox was basicly a pulley drive very much the same as the bolt-on tractor pulley that Fergy and David Brown made but adapted for these swipes. When larger swipes ant toppers came into being they were fitted with a double cutting arrangement and of course there is the flail type. The pivoting wheel on the back could be raised or lowered to help level the machine and to aid the cutting height to a certain extent, these were usualy metal or a lot of like conveyer belt sections fixed together in the round, a pneumatic tyre was not usualy used as the wheel took a lot of punishment.