Silaging in Buckinghamshire

Soilboy

A few pictures from work this week now im back working for a local contractor.  Got about 500 acres chopped this week but stopped again with the rain.

mowermu0.jpg

New John Deere 7430 and JD 530 mower.  Also have a Fendt 818 and JD 1365 mower working in front of chopper.

rakecf1.jpg

John Deere 6920S and 8m Krone rake

chopperyx6.jpg

John Deere 7400 chopper and a couple more 6920S's with Ktwo 14 tonne trailers

chopper2bz1.jpg

John Deere 7400 chopper and a 6320 with Ktwo 14 tonne

clampnv8.jpg

John Deere 7530 and Fendt 818 on the clamp.  The fendt also sometimes has a buck rake on front but a ram was broken on it when i took the picture.

That wasn't for Carnells in Slapton was it? :o

Well infact I know it is, as I walked about 2 miles from our farm and came and found you lot but didn't have the nerve to go over and make conversation with anyone. ::) (Btw, I was the lad standing in the gateway of the field in a blue shirt as it was getting dark on friday night in the field before the one with the permastore in it, just outside Ivinghoe Aston. ;)) Small world hey. :)

Yeah it is a small world FW!!  I was driving the 6920S with the rake, I was going to stop and talk to you when i finished and saw you watching us as I had a bit of time to kill in front of the chopper.  Where abouts do you live then?  Dont be worried to say hello if you ever see us around there again as we are a pretty friendly bunch!

What did you think of our setup then?  I thought it looked pretty good on that job-quite proud to work with it!

Yeah it is a small world FW!!  I was driving the 6920S with the rake, I was going to stop and talk to you when i finished and saw you watching us as I had a bit of time to kill in front of the chopper.  Where abouts do you live then?  Dont be worried to say hello if you ever see us around there again as we are a pretty friendly bunch!

What did you think of our setup then?  I thought it looked pretty good on that job-quite proud to work with it!

Yes it looked very smart and I was very jelous. :P Oh yes it was a bit awkward as I was trying to sort something out with the gf on the phone at the time. I live in Cheddington and the farm is opposite the station in the trees, and the same side of the railway line so our farm borders with Carnels'. Looks like you guys were caught out by the canal as it's a long way around the roads isn't it? ???

Yes it looked very smart and I was very jelous. :P Oh yes it was a bit awkward as I was trying to sort something out with the gf on the phone at the time. I live in Cheddington and the farm is opposite the station in the trees, and the same side of the railway line so our farm borders with Carnels'. Looks like you guys were caught out by the canal as it's a long way around the roads isn't it? ???

Through Horton I mean. ;)

Hi the contractor you work for isn't philip mathews by any chance ?? and years ago i use to work for a small contractor by the name of olly eld from cholesbury who use to do carnells silage. then i went and worked for philip. cheers Ronnie.

No Ronnie I know the answer to this- Spotty's lot gave up the silage business this season, concentrating on whole farm contracts now, and sold the chopper to this crew. ;)

Hi the contractor you work for isn't philip mathews by any chance ?? and years ago i use to work for a small contractor by the name of olly eld from cholesbury who use to do carnells silage. then i went and worked for philip. cheers Ronnie.

What tractors did he have then? As they are probably the same now as he still has some big old Ford's charging about today if I'm thinking of the same person. :-\

FW, it was a bit of trek from the land round at Horton back to the farm, more frustrating that from one of the fields we cant have been much more than 400m from the clamp yet had to drive a good few miles to actually get to it.  We were strugelling to keep up from there with five trailers on the go.

Ronnie, as FW said it isnt Philip Mattews lot as he stopped doing chopping but we have bought his chopper off of him and taken on about 800-1000 acres of his work i think.  I work for a firm called Gollins Contractors and we are from a village called Ford between Aylesbury and Haddenham.

Regards

Pete

Wonderful photo's, really sharp pics mate. I bet the chap on the clamp has got a stiff neck though!! Keep'em coming, we all like to see the silaging gear.

We were using a Krone rake this week and one of the rotors cracked off - there is a join in the tube arm (which also houses the pto) just before the rotor head assembly. It cracked there and can be a problem if you try and fold it up for transport, something to bear in mind thats all mate. Wonderful rake though, got me head round the individual electric controls for the rotors now.  :D

A few more pics of our silaging gear.

mowerslf1.jpg

Mowing with both the Fendt 818 and JD 7430

clamp2jk9.jpg

Closer view of the 7530 on the clamp

wrappervs8.jpg

Another of our 6920S's which stays on the Mchale 998 square bale wrapper which was new this year.

Regards

Pete

MJB, the front linkage on the 7530 is intended for the buckrake but the chap who drives it finds it better on the back as it will lift higher and the tractor steers better.  Also we find you get just as sore a neck with it on the front as for every time you drive up the clamp you have to reverse back down it so you still end up looking over your shoulder as much!

CJ, we dont run front mowers because the mowers do get swopped between 7 or 8 different tractors at work through out the season and it would be expensive to have front links and PTO on them all.  Running two 3m mowers separately also lets us get more done as each mower can do 80-100 acres per day in good going and it gives us the ability to have mowers in two places at once which is important to us as we also do a lot of baling.

Regards

Pete

MJB, the front linkage on the 7530 is intended for the buckrake but the chap who drives it finds it better on the back as it will lift higher and the tractor steers better.  Also we find you get just as sore a neck with it on the front as for every time you drive up the clamp you have to reverse back down it so you still end up looking over your shoulder as much!

Now Pete you have just stated the obvious which I had never actually thought of. ..  your an utter genius  :D :D