Few pictures from round the farms *Updated on - 10/03/13*

Deere-est

All taken from the same spot in the corner of the field where the spreading and baling was going on. The combine is another CR further down the valley. The Quadtrac is one of two Velcourt run in this area. Yous aw the newer one earlier on with a Solo 600. This is a 450 I think with Simba/Vaderstad train on the back.

post-227-132638923286_thumb.jpg

post-227-132638923365_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better round up some of your questions before I get too far away!! I do miss it a bit but now that I am on to more varied work I can only look back and think it was worth it for the money, nice kit and seeing a large  part of the countryside. Even if it did smell when we left, in all fairness it doesn't smell that bad.

Not sure what speed the baler was going really. There wasn't a huge amount of straw out there so I'd guess he was doing a fair rate.

Yeah it was nice to have a brand spanking new tractor for a season, 39hrs when I took her on and 491 when I gave her back. Just missed out on the second service  :(

This part of Wiltshire is very busy. Taking Devizes as a centre you can travel south west to find a large contractor running 3 Lexions, 2 Foragers, a Challenger and a now burned out Cougar before hitting the large chalk areas of Dorset. South to Salisbury Plain and the vast open areas of military land. East straight dwon the Pewsey Vale and into Hampshire where it's CR, CX and Lexion on every other farm. North east past Swindon and into Oxfordshire, again a 600 with 36ft header can be found before hitting Swindon, more of the Challenger breed and the usual high horsepower tractors of John Deere, Fendt and New Holland. North takes you on the the Cotswold brash, more light and fairly easy land owned by large estates like Velcourt again, Co-Op and the likes. More Quadtracs, Magnums, big combines. It is like a mini America down here but you would never guess at any other time of the year.

On with the show and move north of Malmesbury now where the spreading took us into darkness. We finished at 22.30 that night as we were pushed to get to the next farm with the weather drying and rain on it's way. Not uncommon to work this late but not easy it has to be said.

post-227-132638923514_thumb.jpg

post-227-13263892356_thumb.jpg

some vast acres to get stuck in to there tris nice long pulls great pics velcourt like them quadtracs dont they got some up our way ,  ;) in fact one got tangeled up with 11, 000 volt electric pylon this year with some big bit of kit on the back the driver sat tight in the cab  thou and rang for help electric board took a lttle while to cut power turned of many houses and villages but the driver was ok i should think he must of nearly gave up through fright  :o :o :o

Very nice pics Tris, good to see the rolling Wiltshire downs ;)

Several air fresheners hanging in the cab are there, can't see any ;D

I spect your tractor will need a good valeting job to get rid of an aroma before the next owner :D

There was one in there but they don't last. The smell doesn't really get in there too much to be honest though Mark. The ammonia is the most pungent of the smells but as of this year lime stabilised cake won't be available so gone is that smell at least. I did have an odour neutraliser stuck under the steering column between all the air vents and that worked very well.

That didn't soud too clever Graham but well done to the driver for not trying anything silly mind. Velcourt have a big deal with Case nationwide I think. They run CR combines though and not the Case AFX which seems odd but now the dealer network is almagamated I guess it makes no odds.

Yeah there are some sights alright Marcus, especially when you venture out over the by-ways and bridleways in these areas.

On with the updates anyway, you've had your intermission.  :D

These two guys were clearing the bales but with only one trailer on the job it was a couple of loads and then a break to let them clear enough for us to go again. Pain in the bum really but at least we were far enough of the Massey on the Vaderstad that he wasn't giving us too much pressure.

post-227-132638924087_thumb.jpg

post-227-132638924139_thumb.jpg

This farm is a joy to be wokring at. They have had sludge for years and years and take alot too. It is 700ac and not a contractor comes on the place unless it is to bale straw which is sold. They run two Case 1680's, a fleet of Case International tractors from ranging from an MX135 back to a 684 or something with a McCormick which you have seen before. There must be over ten tractors all in all for carting, cultivating, baling etc. It's brilliant working amongst it all. Right on j18 of the M4 if you are ever passing  ;)

One of the combines was sick that day but the older of the two was happily cruising on.

post-227-13263892426_thumb.jpg

post-227-132638924288_thumb.jpg

Archived