A couple of days in the fens

Belarusfan

Not a stupid question... I am not strong on geography.... I spent most of my time OUTSIDE the classroom door... looking in the window...

its in East Anglia... the kind of Ely to Wisbech area (and around).... it was drained in 1601 by a Dutchman called Cornelious Vermuryden (spelling may be wrong)..... it was marshland... and now it't the most fertile soil in Europe...  ;)

Lovely pictures Belarusfan, i especially love the last photo will be interesting to see what it is, there doing something the same round here.

Im going to sound stupid but where are the fens??

The Fens are the low lying sections of land on the east coast that cover an area that stretches from just south of Lincoln to just north of Cambridge.Much of it being below sea level.Like Marky said drained by the Dutch, hence the name for the area of Lincolnshire around Boston and Spalding called Holland.

The reason the M11 stops just north of Cambridge is because the Land is so fertile that its price would never allow compulsary purchase

Can anyone tell me why the roads are higher than the fields there? Surely if the ground has "shrunk" with being drained the roads would have gone down with the fields? I also can't believe there has been so much wind-blow to take all that soil depth difference off?  ???

Can anyone tell me why the roads are higher than the fields there? Surely if the ground has "shrunk" with being drained the roads would have gone down with the fields? I also can't believe there has been so much wind-blow to take all that soil depth difference off?  ???

They are built on banks Nigel... simple as that really.... I guess  :-\

I suppose the soil is too soft to support the weight of the tarmac really.... it's a long way down to bedrock I believe  :-\

Mostly caused on peat fens by shrinkage.Take a look sometime on the web about Whittlesee Meer the shrinkage there is unbelievable 20 odd foot or so.As for the roads take a drive across from Peterboro to Ely staying on the small country roads that dont receive to much maintainence Its like driving across a camels back

There has been very little action around here over the past few days, I dont think I've seen the ground this wet in a long time. Nice pictures though, looks a little like LFP equipment.

There has been very little action around here over the past few days, I dont think I've seen the ground this wet in a long time. Nice pictures though, looks a little like LFP equipment.

Hi Andy should be good for the tates and will swell the corn nicely but I bet it is a bet wet under foot for any work that needs to be done at presant,Must be about time to start Bulb Lifting around your way

Brian