Cullies Farm

smallclaas

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice g, i aint a cattle man so this may sound stupid but is a bull box just a fancy name for a pen ?? or is it for something elses, never heard of it before

Nope it's specially constructed with steel reinforce and 40 newton concrete to keep the bull housed. The floor has to be solid with no hardcore hollows underneath as vibrations in the floor can drive a bull daft. There is also usually a space for the handler to escape if the bull gets wicked.

Nope it's specially constructed with steel reinforce and 40 newton concrete to keep the bull housed. The floor has to be solid with no hardcore hollows underneath as vibrations in the floor can drive a bull daft. There is also usually a space for the handler to escape if the bull gets wicked.

That's an amazing piece of info! I never realised bulls could get quite so aggressive, or that there were special systems devised to deal with this - I'm a country girl, but they always look so docile to me:-\

That's an amazing piece of info! I never realised bulls could get quite so aggressive, or that there were special systems devised to deal with this - I'm a country girl, but they always look so docile to me:-\

believe me bulls can be WICKED!!!

I have see this at first hand!!! I was talking the dairy cows in one evening for milking and the friesan (spelling) bull is normally quiet, but for some reason he decided to turn on me, head down and feet digging and went for me, luckily i was on a quad and managed to get away. That scared the hell out of me!!! Happy to say i got the last laugh though, a few days later a lovely big lorry came for him and the last i heard he was made into burgers ha ha!

Its shows you can NEVER trust a bull!!!

Ah there's loads of stuff Mandy, regarding animal husbandry in dairy farming, that came in with the dairy hygene guides in the 90's. Have a look at the DEFRA website or the Irish governments  ag website, loads of usefull information ;D

I have see this at first hand!!! I was talking the dairy cows in one evening for milking and the friesan (spelling) bull is normally quiet, but for some reason he decided to turn on me, head down and feet digging and went for me, luckily i was on a quad and managed to get away. That scared the hell out of me!!! Happy to say i got the last laugh though, a few days later a lovely big lorry came for him and the last i heard he was made into burgers ha ha!

What is your Highland bull like Noel are they a docile breed? I remember being chased by a Charolais bull and 2 horses when I was a kid I was more afraid of the hosres they moved quicker :D :D Good thing I was only a few feet from the fence.

Quite agree.  We had a big funeral here the other day for a local farmer that was killed in a pen by a bull.  The animal was seen and behaved as a docile animal, then one morning the farmer went in the pen and it turned on him, gored him before he could get out or anyone could get in to save him.

What is your Highland bull like Noel are they a docile breed? I remember being chased by a Charolais bull and 2 horses when I was a kid I was more afraid of the hosres they moved quicker  Good thing I was only a few feet from the fence.

My dad has only had the highland bull (BERITE) for a month or two now, he does seem very quite, but i will always be on my guard.

Noel

A Question for you smallclaas

Why are the cubicles at right angles to the main passage :-\

It's a fairly common design in this part of the world Scott, it allows more cows to be housed in a smaller space. The feed passage is also much wider than the standard paralell design. The dunging passages are narrower so space is used in the feed area.

Good name Bertie, are you breeding Highlands?

his ladies (7 of them, i think) are about 3 years old now and dad says they are ready, so he's beeing looking for a highland bull for 6 months or more, searched the length of Ireland for one, he seen a good few, but hes fussy ha ha!, eventually found one at a farm in Antrim, lets hope he does the business ha ha!

noel

Archived