Cullies Farm

smallclaas

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the trees look really well, a lot of work, but it is paying off.

Thanks 1/32, there not to hard to do, I just had a look at the real thing, and tried to copy the twist and turns of the branches.

Ouystanding work  ;)Those trees are looking great, you are a master

Thanks Painter  :)

yer making it look easy , too easy infact .................  stop it now please  :D

all it takes is a little patience & imagination  :) :)

good going G :) :)

Best part was eating the grapes  ;D

they look the buisness garret they look really realistic aswell  ;) ;)

Thanks Henry  :)

Blimey Garrett, they're phenomenal sir, just fantastic. I shall definitely be filing that technique away for future use, thanks for sharing, again, awesome... :)

Thanks Simon, just working on bark colours at the moment, these beech trees have a kind of green to grey bark colour, the Oaks I'm making next should be easier to colour as there just brown to black in places. I'm going to use Woodland Scenics for the foliage or if I can find something cheaper  :-\

Thanks for that tip NH4ever I, did use branches from Hawthorn trees for a few of the smaller trees on the layout, but I must try your idea. I'm working on a few Scots pines at the moment there easier to make as they don't have alot of branches, only maybe 5 or 6 at the very top on some of them.

:D :D I always wanted to do that on a layout as a kid, have a proper live forest.... didn't really grasp the value of money til a while after that idea had faded  :D :D

I remember to as a kid buying seeds for Bonsai trees, with a book explaining how to grow and care for your tree, but when I read the bit about it taking around 20 years for your Bonsai to start to take on the look of a minature tree I gave up on the idea and stuck with the plastic trees  :D I was about 10 then so my trees would just be about ready now.

Looking a treat the lay out now mate.

Thanks Light Land, I think this will be the year  ;D

I remember to as a kid buying seeds for Bonsai trees, with a book explaining how to grow and care for your tree, but when I read the bit about it taking around 20 years for your Bonsai to start to take on the look of a minature tree I gave up on the idea and stuck with the plastic trees  :D I was about 10 then so my trees would just be about ready now.

And don't you wish you'd done it now!!! :D :D

And don't you wish you'd done it now!!! :D :D

Yes I wish I did as I see some very good examples of Bonsai can go for tens of thousands  :o

Well here's the first tree finished, it's a Scots pine I even added the Highland  ;)

I the base paint is a salmon pink, then I added a little grey and green wash to give it the finished look. The Scots pine has a rough bark, I knapped the wet plaster with a brush to give it the rough bark look. added the small hole for the Squirrels to live in  ;)

post-77-13263893511_thumb.jpg

post-77-132638935117_thumb.jpg

*GULP*

Holy Highland!! That is ... .. well I'm not sure how to put it to be honest Garret.  :o

Thanks Tris, It's a nice tree to do as it has less branches than an Oak or a Beech tree, I used woodland scenics foliage for the leaves.  I'm going to make maybe 2 more.

First tree set into the layout. I anchored the tree using a lenght of dowel drilled into the base board and used some plasters bonding to hold the tree in place. I've set the tree next to the lane.

At the base of the tree I scattered some finely chopped doormat  ;D to look like pine needles scattered around the foot of the tree.

Now just to get the rest of the woodland area finished, holding the beech trees for a while, have to get some light green foliage to finish them.

post-77-132638937964_thumb.jpg

post-77-132638937975_thumb.jpg

Archived