what was/is your favorite tractor to drive ever

massey man

Ok its very smooth to change up in and down in the 1212/1412 but in the bigger 6 cylinders it can be a bit jumpy.But it was way ahead of its time back in 1972 and it one several awards for its design unlike fords selecto speed which was a total dezaster.David brown had made a fully atomatic gearbox back in the 60s but didnt go ahead with it because farmers were not going to pay the extra money for such

a sufisticated gearbox.

Ive never drove a dyna shift Massey so i must get a spin out of one and see what there like.

A lot of people dont relize all the great invensions DB made.

Regards

The DB fanatic. ;)

driven lots of fergys 500 600 and 100 along with 1250 and 290, best has to be the 165, nothing quite like it, fresh air blowing through, flap of the canvis pannels arround you from the cab,and seeing the floor rush bu through the holes in the foot plate, just felt great

Tough one  :-\

Ease of useness?    Case CVX130 / 170

Poshness?              Claas 697 50K

Proper Gruntness?    MF 188

Happyness?            Ford 8340

Loader?                  MF390T

My favourite tractor to drive has to be a Farmall 300. Even though it only has about 30 horses under the hood, it still will pull like a horse. The engine makes a sweet tone when it has a plough sunk in the ground, the one my uncle has can handle a 3 bottom plow with no problems.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15240.0;attach=35870;image

My favourite tractor to drive has to be a Farmall 300. Even though it only has about 30 horses under the hood, it still will pull like a horse. The engine makes a sweet tone when it has a plough sunk in the ground, the one my uncle has can handle a 3 bottom plow with no problems.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15240.0;attach=35870;image

What a beautiful tractor Tim.. how old is it?

What a beautiful tractor Tim.. how old is it?

She is about 50ish years old Mandy. Probably would seem a bit old compared to the tractors over there but around here we tend to preferr the older tractors as they are all broken in, and there is no computer system to worry about. For around $2500, you can get a decent sized older tractor that will still give you plenty of good years of work. The only down side to the older tractors in America is that Gasoline (Petrol as you lot call it) is being mixed with Ethanol, a form of fuel made from corn plants, to alleviate the high fuel costs. I am sure that my uncle is not the only one doing this, but he is now putting two cycle fuel in his tractors instead of the gasoline, because the older engines with the old style valves cannot handle the ethanol. Probably a bit more than you wanted to know, but hopefully someone will find it interesting.

She is about 50ish years old Mandy. Probably would seem a bit old compared to the tractors over there but around here we tend to preferr the older tractors as they are all broken in, and there is no computer system to worry about. For around $2500, you can get a decent sized older tractor that will still give you plenty of good years of work. The only down side to the older tractors in America is that Gasoline (Petrol as you lot call it) is being mixed with Ethanol, a form of fuel made from corn plants, to alleviate the high fuel costs. I am sure that my uncle is not the only one doing this, but he is now putting two cycle fuel in his tractors instead of the gasoline, because the older engines with the old style valves cannot handle the ethanol. Probably a bit more than you wanted to know, but hopefully someone will find it interesting.

Thanks Tim... just out of interest, how much is Gasoline over there?

A few years ago in the UK, unleaded fuel was phased out and a lot of classic car owners had the problem of what fuel to use in their cars etc.

There were two solutions to the problem. One being to have hardened valve seats fitted and the ignition timing retarded slightly, or the alternative was to use a fuel catalyst. There were two types. One could be fitted "In line" in the fuel pipe to the engine, the other was a bag of what looked like magnesium pellets which were put in the fuel tank. Sounds like bulls hit but all the people I know that used them had no problems at all. The pellets never disappear, they cause the fuel composition to change but don't deplete in doing so, hence the reason they are called a "Catalyst"

It isn't new technology either; It was developed in WW2 to allow Spitfires to run on low grade Russian petrol. Don't ask me how it works.............. it just does. I will try to find out some more information later and post it up for you,  ;):)

A few years ago in the UK, unleaded fuel was phased out and a lot of classic car owners had the problem of what fuel to use in their cars etc.

There were two solutions to the problem. One being to have hardened valve seats fitted and the ignition timing retarded slightly, or the alternative was to use a fuel catalyst. There were two types. One could be fitted "In line" in the fuel pipe to the engine, the other was a bag of what looked like magnesium pellets which were put in the fuel tank. Sounds like bulls hit but all the people I know that used them had no problems at all. The pellets never disappear, they cause the fuel composition to change but don't deplete in doing so, hence the reason they are called a "Catalyst"

It isn't new technology either; It was developed in WW2 to allow Spitfires to run on low grade Russian petrol. Don't ask me how it works.............. it just does. I will try to find out some more information later and post it up for you,  ;):)

That is interesting mate....please post up any information you get...I am always interested in vintage machinery and how it works.  :)

Mandy- Gas here right now is roughly $2.90, or about 1.43 pounds  :)

http://www.broquet.co.uk/

A link for the fuel catalyser mentioned earlier. When I used to fit them, I preferred the in line version, as it was a good selling point for classic cars. In around 2000, the in line version cost about forty five pounds, and the in tank version, about about twenty five.

Not sure how it fits in with ethanol type fuels but they should be able to answer any queries you may have.