Corn harvest - South Devon

RichardJW1

steeper hills than yours round here worked to aint there richard, surprised you havnt got going yet, quite a few seem to have cornwall way, but when i was out south milton last week, i didnt see one field started, but did see the deutz(red one) combine parked up in the filed in the farm behind the garage in marlbrough, the one down in the valley ,pretty sure t wa sa deutz, they had it last time  isaw them cutting anyway

The ones that have cut round here are either doing oilseed or grain for crimping - outside Modbury there was rake done last Fri/Sat., we don't have either.......the header is on and the corn 'would'........just missing the vital sunshine ingredient.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the broadcasting seed option seems to be used more & more on difficult soil , at upcerne nr dorchester we had chalk & flint brash , so seed was applied with an overum tive then run over with the discs, it was  very much a minimum input modest output croping system, had to be as the flint would take out a set of  reverseable points in 2 weeks & the discs didn't fare too well either

The only thing I have against broadcasting is that the outside round around the field never seems to get the same plant density as the rest of the field

steeper hills than yours round here worked to aint there richard, surprised you havnt got going yet, quite a few seem to have cornwall way, but when i was out south milton last week, i didnt see one field started, but did see the deutz(red one) combine parked up in the filed in the farm behind the garage in marlbrough, the one down in the valley ,pretty sure t wa sa deutz, they had it last time  isaw them cutting anyway

Nope, not understanding that at all. . ...  ::)

Old sausage fingers!  ::):D

Richard. ..  come on will you?! I love your diary updates and can't wait for the next issue.  :)

Richard. ..  come on will you?! I love your diary updates and can't wait for the next issue.  :)

Despite yesterday's sunshine it was still too wet, lowest was 17% moisture - and we ain't got a drier.

The natives were getting scratchy up at the shop this this morning when brother went for the papers - "why didn't you cut that corn yesterday???" they were saying - brother's reply "and what are we going to do with 25 tonnes of wet corn?"......the field in question they were on about the local council want to use as a car parking field next Sunday (8th) for a visit from the Red Arrows coming for Salcombe regatta week.

guess they are out of luck then richard ,no point wasting a good crop just for the council eh :D

well, there's still another week to go before they need the patch......just made us smile at coffee time how everyone had suddenly become an 'expert' in corn harvest.....next time you're down this neck of the woods you'll see the famous Psycho-path (cycle path) they have created along by the main road........all very posh......(we have our own traffic island up on the road  ::) ).......and you know what once they had finished putting down the chippings they came with a special "tool" to wash & shampoo the track!!!.....how's that for a blatant waste of money???

Anyway, not sure whether you heard but its South Hams Vintage Machinery Rally next weekend, so we're hoping for fine weather

While we're waiting for the sunshine here's a few pics from spring & early summer (remember? when the sun was shining?)......sorry, that is starting to wear a bit thin now...........by the end of this I reckon you'll also be tired of seeing Countys  ;)

Ploughing down after stubble turnips for spring barley.....

ploughing2.jpg

furrow.jpg

ploughing1.jpg

satam1-1.jpg

Major earthworks for the new Psycho-Path - April time......some seriously heavy earthmoving equipment was needed.....but hey, what the hell.....that's what we pay council tax for    :-X

psychopath.jpg

Sending away some of the '08 barley....

loadingcorn.jpg

Getting in some silage.....

DSCN3040.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

DSCN3043.jpg

DSCN3068.jpg

wrapping.jpg

well, there's still another week to go before they need the patch......just made us smile at coffee time how everyone had suddenly become an 'expert' in corn harvest.....next time you're down this neck of the woods you'll see the famous Psycho-path (cycle path) they have created along by the main road........all very posh......(we have our own traffic island up on the road  ::) ).......and you know what once they had finished putting down the chippings they came with a special "tool" to wash & shampoo the track!!!.....how's that for a blatant waste of money???

Anyway, not sure whether you heard but its South Hams Vintage Machinery Rally next weekend, so we're hoping for fine weather

is that what they were doing, saw them working a while back marking stuff out how far did they go in the end?? roads not the best to cycle on i must say, i wouldnt do it

is that what they were doing, saw them working a while back marking stuff out how far did they go in the end?? roads not the best to cycle on i must say, i wouldnt do it

It's done.....they had the vicar up there the other day to bless it!!!  :o

this was taken in late May.....they've heaved a few grass seeds around and its a bit greener now.....

psychopath2.jpg

does it slow them down for you now?? that corner was always a bit of a pain the hemmits seem to go round on the wrong side every time i go along, had a few near misses there always a holiday maker with caravan

Time will tell - the traffic island will hopefully give our field wall more of a chance of survival......visibility for us getting out is much better - mind you we've had folks now start park in the gateways at the top and go off walking their dogs (and leave the dog remnants in a bag hung on the gate latch  >:( >:( ). But with the traffic island in the road it will stop them drifting across to the other side of the road.

Question. Why do you have the wheel weights on the rear wheels of the 1174?

I am more used to seeing them on the front wheels.

Hi SPN, as I am sure you're aware the County is inherently nose heavy with a split of something in the region of 66/33% split so putting the weights on the back is balancing it up a bit......even with the plough on it is still very stable on the front and with the likes of the baler or the 8 ton trailer on it doesn't push the back end around quite so much

So just to appease the natives brother cut 3 short bits up across just so that 'IF' we have a wet week the car parking for the red Arrows can go ahead in a couple of grass fields instead........hope the councillors put a note in their "favours to be returned" book

Mind you this evening's forecast is looking good for tomorrow!!!

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

was it very wet then rich, the weathers not been to nice this way the last few days, but that means nothing as we know, could have been sunny out yours

It was a trifle......about 19% m/c.....ideally it needs to be around 15%.....anyway we'll see what tomorrow brings

Surely cut by now Richard - your father looks happy there busy checking it out :D :D

I had another pic. of him doing his customary hunt the grain-of-corn in the straw, but refrained from posting it  :)

tested it tonight and still 23%.....mind you we had heavy rain Tuesday (ALL day) and a scat this morning about 10am

looking good mate, weathers come good for you at last, nice to see a old ransoms?? trailer out to, and not one mini with 2 pensioners in it looking round either :D :D :D :D

hahaha....no, no pensioners paying a visit, mind you the main road was worse than the M25 on friday afternoon.....total chaos there today