Pumpkin Harvesting

DeerMeadowFarm

Well, we opened sales for pumpkins this past weekend. Temps were a little warm which I think kept a lot of people from thinking about fall/Halloween/pumpkins but Sunday was pretty busy. I have some pictures of the ones we pulled from the patch last weekend with my daughter "helping". I hope you like them.

post-1204-132638653234_thumb.jpg

post-1204-132638653243_thumb.jpg

you have a great helper there how big is the pumpkin patch deer medow ;)

Yup, she helps out a lot. She baked some cookies (with Mom's help of course) to sell to pumpkin customers. Someone would drive up and she'd be at the door telling them about the cookies... ;)

My boss and his wife showed up and she told them "You need money if you want any pumpkins you know..."  :-[

Anyway, the patch isn't too big about 210' by 85'. It's enough to keep us busy. I had about 120 in the truck in those pictures. We were busy all day on Sunday and when we were done we had about 150 left on "display". We picked up another 130 last night and we have about 50 or 60 piled up along the side of the field to pick up tonight and there is probably a good 200 to 250 that are still green in the field. We did a few gourd plants as well. Hopefully, we'll be able to move most of the pumpkins; I am praying for sunny but crisp weekends for the next month! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I heard on the news last week they are having real problems this year with the pumpkin crop in the UK, a lot of money is having to be spent on heating to get them to go orange in time, with many crops much smaller that previous years.

Thats right Rob, there was a farmer from Spalding on the national news the other night talking about it.... the biggest problem being the supermarkets who won't buy them unless they are orange.  >:(

Thats right Rob, there was a farmer from Spalding on the national news the other night talking about it.... the biggest problem being the supermarkets who won't buy them unless they are orange.  >:(

We pick a lot when they are green. If there is a little orange on them and the stem is good, they will orange up after being picked....