Opinons wanted

Pingu

I have been looking into were i want to go after i have completed college etc... Well one of the big things i would like to do is to go self employed with my own tractor ??? And having talked to quite a few people they say the works there as my current boss said would make his life easier sourcing a tractor and a driver in one place is easier for harvest and cultivations, and been told by others that alot contractors round this way need as many as can get on silage etc especially if had a good sized tractor of 170hp+ (will pull a ok sized kit well most average kit round this way and be safe with 14 ton behind).  I was looking at this and few people suggested that hiring in a new tractor for the busy pierod as are quite cheap and you have a new tractor with waranty etc then in quiet times go and work on a livestock farm or something.

But my other thought would be as this will be a gd 18months plus down road would be to buy something along lines of MF 8240/50 as there not to expensive and i have a some knowledge on them and faults with them.  Then that way in winter i can see if find other work hedgecutting etc as i know of alot of contractors running 818's and 7530's on hedge trimmers and have my own tractor to use all year and in few years would work out same as hiring a tractor for 2-3 seasons at 9+grand a season

If your just starting out you want a machine that will earn the money and get paid off in the fastest possible time. Personal opinion, your aiming to high and need to come back down to earth. If the work is there you will make more of it with an older tractor. It doesn't need to be a bag of nails, like you say you have got 18months at least before you make any decision so that is 18months you can spend studying the used market. Some fantastic tractors come out of East Anglia for starters, light use, average hours and from a kind climate tin work wise. An late early 6910 will put you on a good platform but I would look earlier still, rates are based on HP not age of tractor so you can charge the same with a 10 - 15yo tractor as you can a newer one and pay it off in half the time.

If it is decent enough you could hire it out for ?9k / season (based on what you said) and then drive someone else's machine, hear that sound of money falling into your pocket!!

i agree with tris here, the 6910 jd would be good but i wouldnt spend that kind of money on one starting out, id consider a fiat 110-90 or something till i got started, there bomb proof and pull like a train. might be a bit small for handling some kit but ideal for getting a foot in the door, you can always get bigger once you create a bit of a name for yourself

There's some good advice there, as I said to you on MSN last night don't forget to work in your insurances and diesel when you are doing your set up costings, the mention of hedge cutting makes brokers break out into a cold sweat at times :D

I know that you like your Massey's BUT there's a lot of electronics on them at that age and with the sort of hours they'll have on in your price range you will be asking for trouble, an 8340 although very good would be too small power wise for what farmers local to you require and it too would have it's fair share of electrics fitted to go wrong. A 110-90 although a pocket rocket is just totally inadequate for a large arable area, whereas one of its bigger siblings like a Winner F140 would be perfect with a bombproof engine and backend, they too can be picked up for ?10k or less, are frugal on fuel and pull like a train. I myself was looking at the older 54 series Renaults as there are no electronics fitted to them, they have the ultra reliable MWM engine which will never give trouble if serviced properly and providing it has the basic 16/16 gearbox won't need any workshop visits. From what I was told they have a near perfect weight distribution which gets nearly 100% of the available HP through to the ground and of course being a Renault aren't in as higher demand as Ford, JD or MF so the price is much lower. From memory these were in production from the early 90's right up to 2000 so there's loads out there if you can find them, and even on the first models built, the TZ version had full cab suspension, not something that was available on any other conventional tractor of that age ;)

Very interesting thoughts people and very interesting reading as well my only thoughts with what tris said a JD 6910 are fairly steep compared with what i can get from MF (2001 8240 same as 98 JD 6910 well round my way) and i cant stand the gearbox layouts.  My only thoughts with with going for a older tractor like all say is fionding something man enough to be of use round this area with alot min till well everything is min till need at least 150 hp to be of use to anyone even on trailers they wnt have anything less than 10hp per ton :-\ :-\.  But definatly right i need to aim at more reasonable level :) anybody got any thoughts of a good 140hp+ tractor with ok hp

The 9k hire charge was for me hiring out from dealer a brand new 160hp machine or there abouts

Brillaint idea on magnum luke as good transmission etc and cheap too but needs PUH for trailers thats for certain but then cheap hp for lugging 5m disc's etc,

Know anything more about landinis alan cant say iv ever seen one in the flesh?

why did they put drawbars on it not puh  ??? as you have to lift all the trailers to get it on  ::)

could you put one of these dromone ones on  :-\

http://www.dromone.ie/downhitch_agri_products.html

Tractors like the Magnum aren't really thought of as carting/trailer work but more as heavy draught work tractors so I guess they see no need to fit a PUH to them, just a big heavy drawbar which is much more suited to pulling discs etc as you can turn tighter on a drawbar than a hook.

Cheers for the help really is apreciated and got me thinking which is what i needed but a magnum is perfect as it can lug a good set discs etc about etc and be more than man enough on 14 tonners etc gives me more useage in my kind of area :) and then if do anything else use farmers own machine etc> im now on the quest of finding one and will show you what my search shows up ;)