using a silage conditioner to wuffle hay

pistol pete

have just been going through my photos on the phone and forgot to post these of a conditioner or thats what we were told but we used it like the old waffler. our has died and this was the only thing that we could find to lift the hay to let air in. made a great job to and as it was on the three point linkage was better to use than the old waffleras it was on a drawbar.was a great job no pressure cd on and away i went

post-579-132638677051_thumb.jpg

We have a similar machine made by Teagle called the swathwilter

very handy it was during the wet summer for lifting rows rather than gathering mud with the haybob

Great for drying straw

tell me this

i done a field of grass

it left the ends of the field lumpy and the rest was perfect why

Were the main rows overlapping the headland rows? This always used to happen on our 10' cut swathes as you pulled out so the straw was still going through the machine and got carried over onto the outside rows and were thus added to every 20' or so. With a wider cut machine it has more distance to cover before meeting the outside swathes.

they look similar to the old potato toppers of the 70s and 80s

not made by grimmie .....though only by looks though

the toppers where much heavier machines to lift on the

back of a IH 634 than one of these teagle condi/wuffler thingys

did think about converting our old wuffle'r from trailed to 3 point

linkage one time

Great for drying straw

tell me this

i done a field of grass

it left the ends of the field lumpy and the rest was perfect why

the rows weren't over lapped

think it might have been when the tractor and mower were turning the tramped parts may have been wetter so the tedder threw them further??

What happens is the machine throws the crop back a certain distance as it goes through the machine. How far it gets thrown depends on the machine but it could be up to six feet with a haybob for example. Then when you set into work at on end of the field the crop gets thrown back onto the headland area, and when you get to the other end and lift out it often leaves a bare patch, or not if you dont lift on the headland. Anyway what happens is the whole swath moves lengthways down the field and bunches up at one end, leaving you with lots of lumps when you come to finish the headland. To avoid this happening you should try to go in opposite directions on successive passes of the field to push the crop back in the other direction, easier said than done though!! ;)