thinking of buying a tractor......advice please

fendt-man-matty

my view, aim for something simple and reliable easy to work on, and not to many toys, might sound silly, but theres a lot of zetors arround down this way, seem to go on for ages, cheap to buy, aim for a newer one of course some of the old ones are pigs, but if it goes for years on dartmoor, prob one of the roughest enviroments arround, and they look after them on farm, no dealers then there must be something in it, could be the perfect starter tractor

marcus you have said it in one!! 8) thats exactly just it!!

my view, aim for something simple and reliable easy to work on, and not to many toys, might sound silly, but theres a lot of zetors arround down this way, seem to go on for ages, cheap to buy, aim for a newer one of course some of the old ones are pigs, but if it goes for years on dartmoor, prob one of the roughest enviroments arround, and they look after them on farm, no dealers then there must be something in it, could be the perfect starter tractor

sorry no zetor, besides they're huge theres not that many the same size as ford 2000's or 135's 35's :-\

i dont want a david brown, although they come cheep, i dont want a few headaches :D

well i'll look into more different tractor, simon i'll look into a 674.

i know 2k aint much but that's why im taking my time in this :-\

You wanted advice all im trying to do is help!sorry matty im curious how many DB's have you had?? so what gives you the right to say they cause headaches! >:( they are the best little tractor there is!

the second choice for me would be a MF135 as not only are they stylish (but not as tylish as the DB) they are relible tractor's but the share the same problem as other 100 series massey's they are to light!

You wanted advice all im trying to do is help!sorry matty im curious how many DB's have you had?? so what gives you the right to say they cause headaches! >:( they are the best little tractor there is!

the second choice for me would be a MF135 as not only are they stylish (but not as tylish as the DB) they are relible tractor's but the share the same problem as other 100 series massey's they are to light!

i have never owned a DB, i have never owned any tractor!! hence the reason why i am investigating on buying one! and i think there was better tractors than them in there day, please dont have a go at me

a DB would be a very good shout  JDM , very reliable , & quite economic to run as well , fantastic tractors heavily engineared, & built to last , get something like a DB case 990, 995, 996 , you'll be well chuffed , certainly a tractor that holds it's own amongst the other makes  :)

a DB would be a very good shout  JDM , very reliable , & quite economic to run as well , fantastic tractors heavily engineared, & built to last , get something like a DB case 990, 995, 996 , you'll be well chuffed , certainly a tractor that holds it's own amongst the other makes  :)

Your so right Mjb1, definatly hold there own against the rest .

matty dont get to offended with peoples ideas mate, on here you have a huge combined knowledge of tractors, from a lot of people who know about buying ect, we are just trying to help you out mate honest

So buy a David Brown ;)

There are not very many DB's here in the US and I know why. The 990 I got to use was a nice strong tractor but was different. Most tractors made for the US market are similar but the 990 just seemed unusual and required a slight learning curve similar to some of the early Fiats.