T.V. Programme. Lie Of The Land.

powerrabbit

Did anyone watch lastnight?    These programmes are always on too late in the day, they should be screened when everyone is having their meal between 6.00pm and 7.00 shut down all the other channels and make people watch!

I stayed  up n watched it..even managed to persuade g/f to do the same.first thing she said to me this morning, you`ve told me a lot of that before. I enjoyed it and yes Ben it`s a shame its on so late and if folks really understood where their food came from, the limitations and restraints farmers faced I do think we`d get a bit more sympathy.Where we actually go , what direction farming has to take in order to survive as an industry...........well who knows

I saw it on Sunday night by acident, was waiting till Sunday to see it again (it was on more4). I never realised it was on more often than that. It was a guy on a beef farm near Chipping Norton on Sunday. What was on last night?

I saw it on Sunday night by acident, was waiting till Sunday to see it again (it was on more4). I never realised it was on more often than that. It was a guy on a beef farm near Chipping Norton on Sunday. What was on last night?

It was mainly on beef, pheasant rearing and the way the government, through legislation and form filling, is strangling the farming. A good portion was on the way the hunt operates and takes the sick and fallen stock to feed the hounds and demonstrated how the new hunting rules are affecting the way the hunt operates and kill foxes, this was Devon and Cornwall based and concentrated on the issues of animal welfare.  Seems to be a lot of these type of 'awareness' programmes being screened lateley, perhaps the message of the need to educate the non-country people (and those that THINK they're country people) is finally getting through.

Sounds like the same program I was watching - did he have a half fit daughter who brough a cup of tea out to him and the reporter in the landy? And the cows got out whilst loading the lorry and the farmer was worried about was the cattle getting on his new grass beside the drive?  :D :D :D :D :D

It was very interesting and true to the point. As for public awareness, all they will show on prime time TV is the likes of the Ba$tards that got their horses removed by the RSPCA for cruelty. That is what the public think a lot of farmers are like. Also try watching Kill It, Cook It, Eat It. It is on about 2230, can`t remember what channel though. All about eating young animals and the difference in husbandry etc.

Regardless of the screening of all these type of programmes to 'educate' the public and create more 'awareness', the fundamental point is that the Government of this country and the supermarkets are more or less holding peole to ransom, both the producer and consumer, by dictating the market. It is a fact that by controling food you control the populous and this is where they have the power. One third of all foods stuff that the population purchase is wasted by being thrown away. The exact opposite in countries like those of Africa has the same populous controlling effect by not supplying the reqired amount of food to feed the nation. It's one extreme to another. Coming back to the home market, it insenses me that people will go out to a restraunt and pay 30 quid through the nose for a teaspoon-full of food on a tiny plate but baulk at the price of a joint of meat at ?8 that will last them for the best part of a week and people will go to the pub and spend ?2 for a pint of beer and complain like hell that they have to pay 50p for the same volume of milk.  Priorities are all wrong.

I saw it too - and definetly highlighted the plight of farmers - pity it isn't on earlier - is this a series or a one off ???

The farmer with the bullocaks which escaped was funny - he mustn't have heard of a rope to tie the gate ::)

Wouldn't be too keen on handling the foxes like he did though and then letting the cattle lick his fingers afterwards ???

I  was suprised to see the guy take away the dead calves with no ear tags.Here in Ireland the poor animal takes second place to the fiilling in of the form and they wont even come if you dont have tags and passport.As for taking the calf to the local hunt you would have every book in the library thrown at you.People have been misled for years and the media are very slow to take popular foods and retrace the path from table to field and show who gets the money.

It was very interesting and true to the point. As for public awareness, all they will show on prime time TV is the likes of the Ba$tards that got their horses removed by the RSPCA for cruelty. That is what the public think a lot of farmers are like. Also try watching Kill It, Cook It, Eat It. It is on about 2230, can`t remember what channel though. All about eating young animals and the difference in husbandry etc.

seem to be getting alot of these rural awareness programmes lately, the lie of the land,

hugh fittingly tight jumper wossisname, recreateing broiler chicken & freerange growing conditions & trying to get axminster to go freerange eaters .

kill it cook it eat it was highlighting the awareness & stigma's associated with the veal trade in both britain & euroland, tonight i think the spotlight is on lamb , very good & informative viewing , was watching it last night with my step son, & it was certainly an eye opener for him , not so much ignorance , but just unaware of what goes on ,, yes it's sad to see young animals being killed , & most people involved in any animal husbandry will say the same , it's not right that these healthy animals are killed for no reason , it goes against the grain. better to rear for veal than shot because it's not viable to rear on

much of the argument was how young the calves were being killed at , veal was about 12 weeks old & the general perception was that the animal was too young , but are quite happy to eat a chicken that has growth enhancing feed to grow at twice it's normal speed be slaughtered & served well before it has grown it's adult feathers  at the end of the day , it's not always the supermarket's that dictate the prices & conditions it's the consumer, they cant have it all their own way.

kill it , cook it, eat it is on bbc 3,

jamie oliver is on friday i think ch4 which will highlight the processing of poultry products

thse programmes are worth watching

As regards dead calves, yes you are supposed to tag and register them and them pay to have them taken away by a registered knacker, but a common way out of this is to just bury them and say the cow miscarried if anyone asks any questions.

Saw that program the other night and I couldn't believe that farmer who was into the pheasants, going into a shed with a mad cow without as much as a stick to defend himself, them humping a dead calf over his shoulder and rubbing all the dirt into himself instead of dragging it on the ground by the leg like a normal person, then handling a dead fox for ages, then letting cattle lick the blood off his hands, then trying to load cattle into a lorry without even tying the gates and then worrying about them walking on the lawn. I mean does the man have any idea about disease or basic stock handling. Maybe I am being harsh but I really thought he was a bad advertisment for farmers. If he stopped philosophising and used some common sense he might get on better, not to mention being safer.

I thought the program was biased towards environmentalist and animal rights groups, pretendingto depict the views of the common farmer, but showing the skin being ripped off a dead calf can only be designed to provoke one reaction. Also, what was with the random shots of satellite dishes and mobile phone masts, another favourite bugbear of environmentalists and NIMBYs??

Why I am not surprised at all of the above - the look on your face at times during the programme was priceless at times :D :D

Still though you have to agree its better than some of the townie rubbish and soaps on TV for example Emmerdale is supposed to be rural - I'd say less scandal goes on in big cities :D :D

Why I am not surprised at all of the above - the look on your face at times during the programme was priceless at times :D :D

Still though you hvae to agree its better than some of the twnie rubbish and soaps on TV for example Emmerdale is supposed to be rural - I'd say less scandal goes on in big cities :D :D

That's rich from you, you're it's biggest fan!! :D :D :D