Does anybody no who supplies Rivets

fordson major

Question

Hi I am looking for somebody that can supply the type of rivets that are used on NZG and conrad models They are the brass ones with the domed head and the hole through the middle and the ends are tapered out when fitted to keep them in. I have searched the internet with no luck and have made a few from 1/16th brass tube. This is time consuming and they do not look quite right. If any body can help could you please reply with a personal message as i do not want to cross the line again with moderators for breaking any rules. I am in canada so the supplier would need to be internet based for easy contact  and be willing to ship to me or a friend in the U.k who could pass them on. Thanks for your time in reading this and I hope somebody knows.These things are out there some where.

Regards Robert

16 answers to this question

Have you tryed NZG/ Conrad them selves? Conrad are realy good with spare parts

Thanks for your reply I have tried NZG for rivets before they ask for model info and then say no parts are in stock even if they used them on different models . I have compared rivets from both makers and I think they are in metric and imperial mesurements as they do not appear to be the same diameter and will not swap over .

I guess the problem with parts from  companys like these is that the old guys like the ones in machinery dealers who would say hang on mate I think they used that part on this I'll have a look and send you a bag full have long gone.Most of them have been replaced with people who do not care as long as they get a pay cheque every 2 weeks and they can't cross reference like the old guys did. The computer says no and thats it. I have proved this a few times with a certain tractors parts system and amazed the guy with what new parts  fit on the oldies. Thanks again for the reply thats my pet hate aired for today.

Regards  Robert

Who?  ::)

Ben. .. Get him!!

Thanks for the reply I have just looked at the site and will log in and register to post a topic and see what happens. You guys are not the first to call me Richard some body said I looked more like a Richard than a Robert maybe it was polite for a shortend version of Richard . I will answer to most names if you are talking to me as long as it is polite. There is a small town I used to work in and everybody calls me limey being an ex U.K boy in Canada Somebody had to ask my boss my real name to send me an invite to the grad do at their school. Thanks again

Regards Robert

I take it you have the size of the rivets? Have you tried a regular hardware/ironmongery store? You never know what you might find. I know those kind of shops in the US are really good for stocking that sort of stuff. Here, you have to go to a specific place or mail order alot of the time.

I have these also (.8mm,.031" in 3/8" long and in 3/64" (.048")  and 1/16" (.062") also I have some exclusive to ourselves:flat-head (3/64" in both 1/4 & 3/8 long) far more authentic than the std. round head.  In the past I've scoured the net for brass hollow rivets but no-one seems to make them as small as NZG/Conrad so I suppose they get them made specially as we do ours, but ours are solid....more realistic of course. ;):)

Hi Guys Thanks for all of the replys to this topic I think I might try emailing  the girl at Conrad/NZG  and see what she has to say instead of going through the internet parts page. If Nigel can't get them from a small source what hope is there of me finding them. The other thing I found while trying a link was small 1/16 roll pins that I may be able to use and then fill the hole and leave a small piece sticking out to match the real pins on the JCBs.  I think they could just be pushed in if the holes are right. I am not confident in using the solid rivets as one miss tapping them over and the model may be junk as the castings could be brittle with age and I am not that good with glue to stick them in. Thanks again for trying to help me out

Regards Robert

Hi fm, just a word of warning as I've mentioned before,roll pins, as I'm sure you're aware, are very hard and will split diecast casting holes very easily... you can get brass/any soft metal rivet to hold in place by "biteing" into the shank with clippers or sharp jawed pliers where they enter the casting so in effect you inflict a localised swelling that will have a friction grip., especially if done diagonally on the shank.