Help with Potato box construction

Lord Ferguson

Question

• Answers 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

thanks TM810 - do you happen to know what size planking the full scale boxes are made from ?  I want to keep them to scale but 1.5mm ply feels really too small.  The pictures that Ben sent me appear to be a little thicker than this (perhaps 2mm as 3mm was too big).  If guess if its 5cm thick it would be 1.5mm anyway (is that right 5 divied 32 ?).  How fussy are you boys with this sort of thing ?

Thanks for your help - Mark

to be honest i don't mark,spuds aint really my thing,i'm more a pig and arrible farmer in 1/32,but i would think they would be inch and a half thick planking on the real ones,to be honest i would stick with the second ones you have done,they look fine to me,the ones i saw at toytrac  were probally 1.5 / 2 mm thick anyway ,and they were selling well

Went to a tattie farm today to get a load of spuds for the beef cows and had a look round the boxes. All of the side planking was 1 inch thick on every box I saw and there was about a 150 of them all stacked up together so I presume that is the norm. Hope that helps.

Nath

P.S Can you spray paint COOP on the side of my tattie boxes ;) ;) :D :D

Thanks NCC - you make me a stencil and I will air brush it - it will need to be 60x35mm with the words just where you want them on the box.  Thanks for the measurement - 2mm ply will be off-scale then - will need to be 1.5mm or thinner really ! - BLOODY HELL !

Remember to leave about 5mm from the bottom before making a centre measurement to allow for the base and runners.  How much is stock feed making this year ? (I buy about 30 tonnes per week of washed ware for my Fruit & Veg business)

Cheers NCC - Mark

Thanks NCC - you make me a stencil and I will air brush it - it will need to be 60x35mm with the words just where you want them on the box.? Thanks for the measurement - 2mm ply will be off-scale then - will need to be 1.5mm or thinner really ! - BLOODY HELL !

Remember to leave about 5mm from the bottom before making a centre measurement to allow for the base and runners.? How much is stock feed making this year ? (I buy about 30 tonnes per week of washed ware for my Fruit & Veg business)

Cheers NCC - Mark

No problem mate glad I could help. Only pulling your leg on the Coop name bit, I don't really have time to sleep nevermind make stencils. Come on get your violins out :D :D ;) ;)

Where paying ?5 a ton box for stock feed tatties. The tatties aren't washed or anything, there just the small, nobbly ones that don't make the grade. He's a good friend and we supply all the muck etc for his arable ground and do some baling for him so it works out pretty well. I know a bloke paying ?8 a ton and he's carting them 25 miles with a 8 ton trailer so compared to that where doing very well as the farm is only 10mins away from us, so is ideal as we can be there and back in 40mins and also saves us buying in loads of ?150-?200 a ton high protein mixes which is alot of money for about 100+ cows at any one time :o :o :o

Sorry for the rant :D :D

OK thanks NCC - I am so gulable ! - Now you've mentioned it though stencils would like nice on the boxes - do you boys have carpet farm names ? ???

On the spuds - I'm paying between 90-120 PT for graded, washed (or dirty).  I give my local farmer all my food waste here (about 12t per week) which he feeds to his 100 head of bull beef - I own a 6t trailer which we have waterproffed - he collects from me with his tractor - great relationship EXCEPT... he sometimes turns up in a green tractor (Johnny ***** I think) and we have to take the p!ss out of him for driving the wrong colour) ;D

He say if I buy him a new Massey he will drive it - don't seem fair to me really... :D

Thanks TM810.? I enjoy making them (it's my hobby as I get to smoke cigars and keep away from Holby City, Eastenders etc. in my workshop so when I have perfected them they will be free to anyone who wants some. :D

Mark

:D :D :D :D :D

I'll take some of those off your hands and gladly supply the materials and cigars too!  :D :D :D

Hello Boys... I'm still alive :) - been a bit busy refitting my workshop after me new door was put in.  I've nearly finished making the first 20 for you chaps (should be done tonight - just need gluing up now - all cut and ready).  Have made them out of 1.75mm spruce now and they look much better.  I will post a piccy tonight when they are finished, but I am happy with them so far - ply is crap but Spruce has a real wood effect.  I am waiting on a stencil that someone has promised me he will cut on a CNC thingy.  Still want to spray them with a dusting of mud though - what do you think ?  I do have the 5 ply ones (posted here earlier) if anyone wants them.

Pop over when you get Chance Ben and collect them :)

Cheers - Mark ;)