Britains MF 135 variations

allis8550

At a toy-fair in Hereford yesterday and came across a Britains MF135 in amongst a box of Corgi MF's ,all priced up except the 135, asked the chap how much,He said a fiver so I jumped at it.

Didn't look that closely at the time, but after I got it home I noticed its got a slightly different steering system to the other ones I've got. In the pics it's on the left and as you can see it hasn't got the wire link to the axle, but has the steering similar to later Britains models. Can anyone tell me if it's a later model or why its different? It's also got a number plate on the rear wing, but that might be a later addition.

thats the only 2 versions i know of mate, i have both ,a yellow one with the pin in the center and a red with the wire steer, plus a second chassis in the shed with the wire steer

Thanks Sean , never seen the centre steer version before, do you know if it's an earlier or later version than the wire steer?

Thanks Sean , never seen the centre steer version before, do you know if it's an earlier or later version than the wire steer?

sorry ment to put that in to

the center steer is the early one made from 1968 to 1972 then they went to the wire steer from 72/3 to 75 at which point they swapped to the non cabbed version but had wire steer again up till 79

There are 2 variants of the red cab on these tractors as well. The early 135 with the centre steering made between 1968-69 had a fully glazed cab and you should notice that the right-hand mudguard did not have the stop for the loader lever which the second series did. This one was supplied in a sleve and plinth box. The second series one had a partial glazed cab, windscreen only, and the loader handle stop on the mudguard was introduced. This one was supplied in a window box, 1970 to 72. Both were supplied with a white plastic block/adapter to enable the fitment of the muledozer as the length of the tractor was too short without it, it fitted over the headlamps. The third red 135 of 1973 to 75 had the external steering with the wire link, the previous ones had a cranked/swept back front axle and the wheels angled, this last one had a straight axle, painted link lift lever. The last version was made from 1976 to 79 and the cab was now ommited, the lift lever was silver and the window box had a back card stand. So all versions are readily identifiable, providing that they have had no restoration, Number 1, fully glazed cab, no loader stop on mudguard, cranked front axle, centre steering. Number 2, partial glazed cab, loader stop on mudguard, same steering and axle as 1. Number 3 & 4, straight axle, side link steering.

There are 2 variants of the red cab on these tractors as well. The early 135 with the centre steering made between 1968-69 had a fully glazed cab and you should notice that the right-hand mudguard did not have the stop for the loader lever which the second series did. This one was supplied in a sleve and plinth box. The second series one had a partial glazed cab, windscreen only, and the loader handle stop on the mudguard was introduced. This one was supplied in a window box, 1970 to 72. Both were supplied with a white plastic block/adapter to enable the fitment of the muledozer as the length of the tractor was too short without it, it fitted over the headlamps. The third red 135 of 1973 to 75 had the external steering with the wire link, the previous ones had a cranked/swept back front axle and the wheels angled, this last one had a straight axle, painted link lift lever. The last version was made from 1976 to 79 and the cab was now ommited, the lift lever was silver and the window box had a back card stand. So all versions are readily identifiable, providing that they have had no restoration, Number 1, fully glazed cab, no loader stop on mudguard, cranked front axle, centre steering. Number 2, partial glazed cab, loader stop on mudguard, same steering and axle as 1. Number 3 & 4, straight axle, side link steering.

Thanks Powerrabbit, looks as if I've got an early version with the cab missing then.

Replacement resin red cab is available from Brian Norman for ?6. I don't think there is any glazing but for the early one with just the windscreen this is very easy to make from stiff cellophane. Strange thing, I've found a few original yellow cabs but never any red ones, they very occasionaly come up on eBay but usually make fair money.