REAL FARMING DIARY - Apr 2008

FB

waiting for better weather to sow fertiliser and roll the silage ground but at slurry this week ;)

how many acre of rolling silage you  do i do about 120 and it fells like it goes on for ages i do 4-5 m.p.h in a 40 acre field nearly sleeping

44.5 acre is our biggest field mate, and few years ago i remember being in the tractor while rolling silage with the JD 6400, good job it had a passenger seat!!

i know peopel who do rolling in 100 acre fields bigger than most farms down here

You may as well stay at home as roll ground too fast, sure you'd only be hitting the ground in spots!!! The roller needs to be given time to press down all the humps and stones. I tend to roll in 6th gear with the Ford 7600 or 6610 at about 1500 rpm, not sure what speed that is but not as fast as 10mph :o

Rolling, some sowing left to do, fertilizer spreading and cattle to sell and buy also some straw starting to move ;D

Combine to bring home with my friend too ;D ;D

Did I miss something Colm or is it the Deutz?

You may as well stay at home as roll ground too fast, sure you'd only be hitting the ground in spots!!! The roller needs to be given time to press down all the humps and stones. I tend to roll in 6th gear with the Ford 7600 or 6610 at about 1500 rpm, not sure what speed that is but not as fast as 10mph :o

I thought 8 -10 kph was considered  'optimum' for rolling  :)

Just got the last spray on the OSR and ready for first fungicide on WB followed by growth regulator on WW.

Did I miss something Colm or is it the Deutz?

I thought 8 -10 kph was considered  'optimum' for rolling  :)

Just got the last spray on the OSR and ready for first fungicide on WB followed by growth regulator on WW.

No its the Deutz 3580 alright John  ;D ;D :-X :-X

Similar to James - I roll in 6th with the 3600 same gear as spreading fertiliser and spraying ;)

Tad on the cold and frosty side for spraying John but sure not much you can do about that :D :D