Recent Travels - Updated 23rd AUGUST

CX820Joe

Thought I'd start combine hunting again today; sadly the only combine I saw working was far away in the distance, a JD of some description.  But, as I got closer to Ellesmere I stopped off to take a photo of these two sitting in a barn;  I took some of the Fortschritt in action last year, and it looks like something is going on with the Volvo, so maybe it might see some use this year - the header was in the yard up on blocks, though no sign of the elevator...

post-566-132638816644_thumb.jpg

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar to the TX32 where I cut the rape last year. Went down there last week and was surprised to see the elevator and header next to the workshop, chain and belts and pulley's all over the place this close to harvesting!!

I suppose the E517 could handle the acreage easily - I do wonder if the S950 might be going, and they'ew getting it fixed up for the purpose, or maybe it is need of a new elevator and will swing into use again!

The farm had two working ones before the Fortschritt (they had a rarer E524 for a season before replacing it with E517), and they also had another S950 and an S1000 as non-runners!

I suppose the E517 could handle the acreage easily - I do wonder if the S950 might be going, and they'ew getting it fixed up for the purpose, or maybe it is need of a new elevator and will swing into use again!

The farm had two working ones before the Fortschritt (they had a rarer E524 for a season before replacing it with E517), and they also had another S950 and an S1000 as non-runners!

What a set up - they must now Forschitts and Volvo's like the back of their hands :D :D

OK, another cycle ride today, to come back to Shrewsbury, which was more fruitful combine wise, starting with this, just a mile or so into the journey, AHM Lea's Laverda M152:

P1010097.jpg

This was doing contract work - they seemed to be getting their own harvest underway with their other combine, a Laverda M120, but it was back at the farm being worked on by the look of it, sorry didn't get a photo.

Near to Baschurch I heard another combine, but it took a bit of finding, but this is what it was a Claas Mega 218.  It was on a K plate, seems old for a 218 ???

P1010103.jpg

Then I went towards Ruyton XI Towns, but saw a cloud of dust in what appeared to be the Prescott direction, so went back to Baschurch, and turned off and caught up with this Lexion 580 Terra Trac:

P1010112.jpg

I'm afraid its the best photo I could get, it was away over a field, and a closer shot was ruined by the bloke driving the Massey that was carting; it was the same 580 that I encountered last year down a narrow lane; only it had a V750 header then - now its got a V900!  Maybe a Lexion 600 round here isn't so unlikely now...

Onwards now, and no more combines in the field, but I made a brief stop at a Grain dryer to take this photo of a sorry looking Moreau GR2 Beet harvester, minus its lifters:

P1010116.jpg

Don't suppose it will see much work now the beet factory's closed down; thought it was worth a photo for nostalgia's sake!

Lastly, this rather poor view of a Dominator 98s being prepped for work by the look of things, at Montford Bridge:

P1010117.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics, I did take a few more of the Laverda and the 218 if anyone wants to see more. :)

Thanks for the replies - I will sort some additional photos out when I can; can also post another OK one of the Lexion 580 too, didn't get any better shots of the Dominator 98 though!

• 2 weeks later...

Went hunting for an NH CX and a JD 9780 CTS I saw yesterday today, and saw neither!  However, I did see this MF 40RS, which was nice to see considering how scarce MF's are around the area nowadays.

P1010122.jpg

P1010124.jpg

P1010127.jpg

Here we go now that Laverda is a proper combine compared to them Claas' if you ask me - plenty more Laverda photos please Joe ;)

I'll keep my eye out for them, I'd love to see an M182, but doubt I will round here - I ought to broaden my combine hunting horizons, or at least pay someone to drive around country lanes on the off chance!

I'll keep my eye out for them, I'd love to see an M182, but doubt I will round here - I ought to broaden my combine hunting horizons, or at least pay someone to drive around country lanes on the off chance!

M 182 - 6 walker I take it ;D

Had a hard job to convince a fella that one of them existed :D :D

Took a stroll along the canal at Ellesmere today to find this beauty working in a rape field, a New Holland CX8070 belonging to John Roberts; It was registered last year, and is suitably signwritten so you won't be in any doubt who owns it! :D

Took quite a lot of photos of it, here are a the first...

P1010143.jpg

P1010145.jpg

Quite chuffed with this one, getting the narrowboat in the same shot:

P1010146.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

Then a little later, seeing some TM155's and Marston trailers heading in the direction of Welshampton, I went out that way and found this CX820, though it was quite a way away unfortunately, but here it is all the same:

P1010172.jpg

P1010174.jpg

P1010175.jpg

P1010176.jpg

I did take some more but they came out blurred because of the distance!

Hope you enjoy anyway :)

Heres a few more of the CX8070 that I didn't upload first time round, it had to swing around to clear a small patch - the contours of the field meant that it had to keep reversing every few yards it seemed, plus it was quite badly lodged, still great to see :)

P1010150.jpg

P1010151.jpg

P1010152.jpg

P1010153.jpg

smart pics were these taken with your new camare does it have image stabler because i have the fz8 and it works really well when you use full zoom with is on but some times they come out blurry because it i forget to focus

The ones of the CX820 were not taken in the best of surroundings, I was on the grass verge aiming the camera over the hedge and hoping for the best seeing is it was some distance away, but they weren't all that bad, you should see some of the others! :D

Great pictures, out of curiosity is that preservative in the tanks on the back of the claas? Is there a particular reason why you put them on the back? We have one on the side of our Claas but not that big. Thanks,

Luke

The Claas was owned by a contractor mate, I'm not in the farming trade, just take photos as and when I can.  I think the reason for the big tanks is the distance the machine has to travel from its base - it was 15 miles away or so when I saw it

I got chance to go out and look for more combining action today; I'll start off with a couple of random JD shots, of a broken down 1065 and (I think) a CTS taken from some distance:

P1010185.jpg

P1010193.jpg

Also saw this Claas Lexion 570 actually working!:

P1010187.jpg

P1010188.jpg

P1010190.jpg

P1010192.jpg

Hope you like :)

Shame that Claas was on the flat Joe because I see it is a Montana. .. the hillside variant I think that is.  8)

If I'd caught it in the next field, then it would have been testing the hillside capability, very slopey!

Archived