BON ACCORD STEAM & VINTAGE RALLY AT CASTLE FRASER JUNE 21/22 2008

BC

Well that's it from the 2008 Bon Accord Steam and vintage fair at Castle Fraser. Here's hoping 2009 is a better year weather wise since there were a lot of cheesed off engine owners going around by the close of play on Sunday. When I spoke to Mike Dreelan just before he was pulled I said it was a disaster getting weather like this two years in a row. He replied it might be the last to which I said were the club now low on fund ???. He responded in his strong Irish accent "naw we are all "fooking" fed up" . Here's hoping they will have cheered up by next year and be back.

Superb Pic Bill... thanks for sharing... My mate Clive is mad keen on Burrels (built not so far from here in Thetford)... I'll show him this post... he'll be dead chuffed...

I can believe the £1m story... the owner of Britannia told Clive he was offered in excess of £500k a few years back for his Burrel showmans engine - his reply was... 'No thanks.. where will I get another one'  ;D

Superb Pic Bill... thanks for sharing... My mate Clive is mad keen on Burrels (built not so far from here in Thetford)... I'll show him this post... he'll be dead chuffed...

I can believe the £1m story... the owner of Britannia told Clive he was offered in excess of £500k a few years back for his Burrel showmans engine - his reply was... 'No thanks.. where will I get another one'  ;D

Glad you enjoyed Mark and hope your friend will too. To me they are smelly and oily things that deposit black oily smuts on our tractors at the show's but they are so so nice really ;D ;D

Great pics again bill, I had heard that mike was a nice bloke from guys who were PSL and some from Q serv as well. I had no idea that Thomson's had gone into tippers must be a very new thing is it?

Alfie could have done with one of his winches there  ;D

It will be a shame if it does not go ahead next year.

What a huge post!

Some lovely machines there - pity about the weather.

To restore maintain and haul one of those steam engines around you need to be a real enthusiast with deep pockets.  ;D

Great pics again bill, I had heard that mike was a nice bloke from guys who were PSL and some from Q serv as well. I had no idea that Thomson's had gone into tippers must be a very new thing is it?

Alfie could have done with one of his winches there  ;D

It will be a shame if it does not go ahead next year.

Yes Mike is really down to earth chap and I was at his house mansion at an open day he had last October. He had a dozen to 15 of his Irish pals accross and all his engines were out and working. One of this friends took great delight in starting up all of his tractor collection for me to. One was an IH Cub so that was even better. The chap said that for all Mike's money it hadn't changed him a bit and he still goes home to Ireland and visit's the pubs at Christmas time.

The two Thompson sons took over from their father but downscaled the floating side. Young harry has two tippers on the road and this will be a third. They also have at least one cement mixer. I think the plan may be that they will get a lot of work from the new bypass if it ever gets started. It's already 20 years too late ;) ;)

What a huge post!

Some lovely machines there - pity about the weather.

To restore maintain and haul one of those steam engines around you need to be a real enthusiast with deep pockets.  ;D

Huge post John... we call that type of posts gate strainers up here in Scotland ;D ;D

It was a really nice day on Saturday and in fact in a funny sort of way it was fun watching the pulling and loading on the Sunday afternoon.

Yes you really have to have a bunch of money to own and maintain and transport such machines. I'm really surprised Marky doesn't have one but then again MF didn't make any  ;D ;D

• 4 weeks later...