Sharna pedal tractor

IH885XLMAN

That is the only other one of 2 that we know that's still in existence at present. As you know, I spend a bit of time on the D.B.T.C Forum, being in charge of the Devon branch of the Club. I myself have the other one, mine has a loader and bucket on it and has a 'numberplate' on it DB 69, 69 being 1969. The one I have was the one modelled in the Border Fine Arts study 'Like Father Like Son', the loader was not represented because they thought it was too fiddely to do.  I remember these D.B pedal tractors at that time in the showroom of my local D.B dealers and also remember that they were priced at £64 (without loader), a lot of money back then. I will dig it out of the shed and clean it up and post up some pics of it.  Perhaps pedal tractors would make an interesting seperate topic as they have been made for years, I particularly remember the MF65 one that was made by Triang.  Pollytoys are the main producers of pedal tractors now I believe.

i know where parts to a triang MF 65 are (rear wheels and front axel and bar)quite rusted though

also there is a db if not two down in the old dump by me both had the loader  but i think the front

axels whent on them also did the white bonnet come off because i remember one being just black so

maybee the plasic came off .I havent seen these two DBs for a long time now so either they are still down

there or they have been washed down the bank

but please send in photos of these tractors i know ive seen a MF 135 styled pedal tractor

of the same era

cheers for that yes aswell i thread for these makes should be considerd  ;) ;)

p.s power rabbit did you go to the melthem show on saturday or sunday at all ???

That is the only other one of 2 that we know that's still in existence at present. As you know, I spend a bit of time on the D.B.T.C Forum, being in charge of the Devon branch of the Club. I myself have the other one, mine has a loader and bucket on it and has a 'numberplate' on it DB 69, 69 being 1969. The one I have was the one modelled in the Border Fine Arts study 'Like Father Like Son', the loader was not represented because they thought it was too fiddely to do.  I remember these D.B pedal tractors at that time in the showroom of my local D.B dealers and also remember that they were priced at £64 (without loader), a lot of money back then. I will dig it out of the shed and clean it up and post up some pics of it.  Perhaps pedal tractors would make an interesting seperate topic as they have been made for years, I particularly remember the MF65 one that was made by Triang.  Pollytoys are the main producers of pedal tractors now I believe.

powerrabbit I remember being given a Triang pedal tractor from my grandparents when I was either 4 or 5 which was a week before Santa time ;D ;D I remember spending loads of time in the garden with it. Dad being a joiner to trade made me a trailer for it. I didn't think of it as being an MF65. I recall it was more orange in colour bonnet etc but if I recall correctly it had yellow plastic wings and a green seat. I'm sure mum and dad will have photos of it somewhere. I wish I had kept this toy but sadly I sold it at my uncle's farm sale in 1978 amongst other toys to generate cash for my first car  >:(:(.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your DB and yes i think a topic on pedal tractors would be an excellent topic.

IH885XLMAN.    The D.B. pedal tractors were a complete plastic moulding in the chocolate brown and the white of the bonnet and dash was spray-painted. The front wheels were silver and the rear ones were black, sprayed white. The rear mudguards were moulded white harder plastic that got very brittle with age. The pedal 'power' arrangement was very simple with a crank for the pedals with a sprocket and the chain going to the sprocket on the rear axle. The front of the bonnet had 'headlights' in the nose that were just shiny silver paper discs just stuck on and the 'grille' was just sprayed red, as was the seat. on the back of the tractor there was a hook as part of the moulding for a trailer and other drawn implements, but I've never seen anything that was made to go behind them, or at least, can't remember any. The pedals were red plastic as well.     I do also have an all diecast (very heavy) Case 790 pedal tractor as well that I picked up at a boot sale a few years ago and restored it. The only thing that was missing was one of the pedals and I have never been able to find a replacement to finish it as yet.

Here is a picture of the Sharna 780 from when it was quite new being used by its original owner.  There is a very moving story behind this little boy and his tractor, for those of you with an emotional disposition, run for the tissues now. Got them? Right, I'll begin.  This little boy is called David and when he was three he became very ill and was diagnosed with leukemia and consequently spent an awful long time in hospital being treated as best then as they knew how. Fortunately he survived and got well again and is now in his 40's and enjoying very good health.  His Mother and Father bought him the tractor new in 1969 not long after he was pronounced cured of his illness to take his mind off his ordeal but his parents, understandably, only let him play with it occasionally when they thought he was up to it (they mollycoddled him a bit) so that is why the tractor survived in virtually as new condition. I bought it from his parents who answered an ad I put in a local paper looking for David Brown tractors and when I went to see it I was expecting a real one so you can guess at my surprise when this came to light in their garage when they opened the door. I felt rather guilty at tearing this away from them as it held so many memories for them but they said it was time to move on and knew that it would be looked after. I paid them £200 for it and said that I would like them if they would to give a proportion of the money to Cancer Research at which they readily agreed. I spent several hours with them when I bought it, they were a lovely couple.

Sharna780.jpg

:-[:-[ :-[:-[ :-[

sad story with a happy ending

if i could find the old one as the cast was in good nick

be worth doing her up they dont make em like they used to

that loader was a brilliant play feture on them and i distintively

remember the yellow star where the pedals go in to the mould

you are lucky to have her at her age would love to see the pics of

what she looks like today  ;)

thats a beauty powerrabbit cheers

the cast is as i remember it i think the rear fenders

diddnt last well on the one i remember as you say they get brittle with time abit like the wheel melt on the britains tractors

shes well worth what you payed in that lovely condition  ;)

thats the first one ive seen complete and on the web ;) ;)