A RATHER LATE FIRST CUT OF SILAGE AT SKENE ABERDEENSHIRE 17/07/08

BC

On the way home from work yesterday afternoon I just had to stop at a friend of mine and catch some photos of the first cut of silage. Rather late I know but his father took a stroke about a month ago and was seriously ill in hospital. His father passed on last Friday and the funeral was on Wednesday hence the delay with the silage.... never mind the show must go on his father would not have wanted it any other way.

It's only hobby farming for my friend since he has a full time job outwith agricultural so for the main work the contractors are called in. They use Wilson's of Sauchen with the NH T7050 and the 3 metre chopper and a couple of NH's TM140 and TM155 with Fraser trailers from the farming division of Nicol of Skene Limited. So without further a do here is what I captured.

Misc1820708001.jpg

Misc1820708002.jpg

Misc1820708003.jpg

Misc1820708004.jpg

Misc1820708005.jpg

Misc1820708006.jpg

Now the last for the day. I noticed on the way to work this morning there was still one park on the hill to finish and now the rain is on so heavens knows when they will get it finished.

Misc1820708025.jpg

Misc1820708026.jpg

Misc1820708027.jpg

Misc1820708028.jpg

super pics bill

i always love to see a full blue contrcting utfit going hard at it :D :D :D

Glad you enjoyed Berry... I must admit it was a nice sight to see all the Blues together ;D ;D

Great pictures Bill, nice to see a trailered forage harvester instead of a self propelled one :)

Yes Mark it was a mean looking set up to watch. A 3 meter chopper with 30 foot between the bouts once down the field back up and the trailers were loaded. Although the farm was not far away 2 trailers were kinda struggling to keep up with the chopper especially as the tea time traffic got busy on the main road.

It is funny how things change. I remember helping out at silage time 20 to 25 years ago. We were using things like Ford 4000 and Ford 5000 for carting, a IH 684 on the chopper, a Fordson major on the buckrake and a Grey Ferguson TEF20 for tramping the pit. It was enjoyable but silaging went on for days on end ;D ;D

There must be a 15 to 20 foot drop to the bottom of the pit. The cows eat the silage from the other end kept back by an electric fence.They used to have  a dairy herd of Friesans until his mother and father retired and sold out the quota. My friend and his wife now have suckler cows but they are never finshed and I really wonder why they bother with the farm these days... it must be the love of it.

Well I don't know about that MJB1 but it was a nice sight to see. Just wish I had photos to compare the set up 25 years ago ;D ;D

you and me both Bill  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ the last time I was silaging the "big" tractor was an IH 674 with a 574 hydro on the buckrake and me carting with an old MF 165, unfortunately I never thought of taking photos in those days, it cost too much to get them developed at Boots  ;D ;D

robbo

you and me both Bill  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ the last time I was silaging the "big" tractor was an IH 674 with a 574 hydro on the buckrake and me carting with an old MF 165, unfortunately I never thought of taking photos in those days, it cost too much to get them developed at Boots  ;D ;D

robbo

robbo...........574hydro on a bukerake.............pics or even better a old video????