GARIOCH VEHICLE RESTORATION SOCIETY RALLY AT OLDMELDRUM SUNDAY 3RD AUGUST 2008

BC

• 2 weeks later...

Well I attended the 44th Garioch Vehicle restoration Society rally held in the Oldmeldrum, pleasure park yesterday. A small rally with only 228 catalogued entries but a nice friendly atmosphere. Unfortunately the weather broke around 2.30pm with a torrential downpour which brought forward the raffle and prize giving.

I took my 1951 Farmall Cub and picked up the A.J. & D.R. Cooper Tractor Challenge Shield for the Best tractor 1951 onwards

OLDMELDRUM2008014.jpg

OLDMELDRUM2008039.jpg

OLDMELDRUM2008038.jpg

Second in that class went to Andy Junor from Muir of Ord with his 1957 Ferguson FE 35

OLDMELDRUM2008011.jpg

The winner of the Tractor Challenge Shield for best Tractor up to 1950 went to Charlie Bruce from Udny with his ex Orcadian 1938 John Deere "L"

OLDMELDRUM2008003.jpg

I have to admit I failed to hear what got second in the pre 1950 class

Moving some of the other tractors on display

A 1964 Fordson Super Dexta

OLDMELDRUM2008001.jpg

A 1965 David Brown 990

OLDMELDRUM2008002.jpg

A couple of late entries

First a rather nicely restored David Crop Master

OLDMELDRUM2008006.jpg

And secondly a MF 65 but gosh that steering really needed some attention

OLDMELDRUM2008007.jpg

A 1952 Ferguson TED20

OLDMELDRUM2008009.jpg

A 1963 Fordson Super Major

OLDMELDRUM2008010.jpg

Thanks Barney I won there last year too. Also back in 2000 and 2001 if I recall. It is a really nice small rally with a good atmosphere. They do not charge us to exhibit and even the public. Despite that we still get a lunch ticket to the tune of £ 3.50. Got lovely plate of mince tatties skirlie and carrots and can of juice for that. Tractor numbers were lower than usual due to the Turriff show where they get free entry to the show and are paid £ 20 per exhibit.

The local press report from the local paper for the North East of Scotland.... The Press and Journal

Meldrum rally participants brave rain

By Emma Christie

Almost 270 entrants braved heavy downpours to take their place in this year’s Oldmeldrum Rally yesterday.

A wide range of vintage and classic cars and motorbikes were on display, including a 1915 Model T Ford, a 1968 Lotus and 1,000cc Harley Davidson from 1980.

Last night Lachlan Gray, publicity officer for the rally, said it had been a big success despite heavy rains in the afternoon.

He said 15 Morris Minors took part in a special line-up, including the oldest one in the area which dates back to 1949.

One event, the tractor test, was cancelled because of the rain but the rest of the day went ahead as planned.

Results:

Town council cup: Phil Baxter 1962 Triumph TR4 (best in concourse for cars).

Graham Fraser trophy: Phil Baxter 1962 Triumph TR4 (best in concourse for classic cars).

Harthill trophy: Alan Smith 1958 Triumph Trophy TR5, 500cc (best in concourse for motorcycles).

Milne cup: Tom Middleton 1974 Honda Sport, 750cc (best in concourse and tests for motorcycles).

Mike Beverley tankard: Phil Baxter 1962 Triumph TR4 (best in concourse and tests car or motorcycle, Grampian Vehicle Restoration Society member only).

John Ritchie memorial shield: D Harper, 1933 Austin 10 (best in car tests).

Ron Bruce cup: Gordon Williamson, 1951 Sinclair Goddard ‘Powerpack’, 49cc (best in motorcycle tests).

Karle Poppe trophy: Graeme Henderson, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (best restored car, finished and MOT’d, GVRS members only).

Ben Groat award: Adam Craigmyle, 1970 Morris 1000 (committee choice).

Jaguar trophy: Sandy Clark, 1963 Jaguar ‘E’ Type (best Jaguar in rally).

Military vehicle shield: Ian Lowe, 1968 Land Rover Airportable Lightweight (best military vehicle).

Tractor challenge shield: CM Bruce, 1938 John Deere ‘L’ (best operational tractor up to 1950).

AJ and D.R Cooper tractor challenge shield: William Cruickshank, 1951 International Farmall Cub (best operational tractor 1951 onward).

Young Harpe trophy: Vic Mathers, 1959 Dennis fire engine ex-Kintore (best in concourse for commercials).

W.M. Munro trophy: Donnie McDonald, 1925 Petter ‘M’ Type, 1hp (best closed crank engine).

Mither Tap challenge salver: James Macadie, 1927 Ruston APR, 2hp (best open crank engine). LPA motorcycle trophy: Gordon Williamson, 1955 BSA Winged Wheel, 35cc (best light pedal assisted motorcycle).