Malcy's big day out with Dave, Mick, a Dom 80 and loads old tractors!

malcy_p

Yesterday on my travels I spotted a Dominator 80 (old skool, no cab!) sitting in a yard about 5 miles from the cottage. I stopped to take a few photos and spoke to the farmer, Michael. I asked when she'd be in action again and was told that although he'd finished harvest she was headed for the Norfolk broads to his dad's farm to take over from a later Dom that had burned out a few days ago.  :(

So today I drove the 30 miles to the other side of the county line to photo the old gal in action. I arrived as Dave (Mikes dad) and Mick were unloading her off the artic she'd arrived on. First task was to get the header on - no simple task as the wheels on the header trailer had been replaced at some point and were too big to allow the elevator trunking to mate with the header. Answer? Remove the wheel and try again!

Once the header was on, we worked out the controls for the combine - no manual but luckily I have familiarised myself with the layout whilst building my 1/32 scale 105 over the last few weeks.

Anyway, once happy Dave headed out into the field. I drove the 5000 with the small trailer behind the combine - the first load was fairly weed infested so was going for feed for chickens. Then we hit the first problem - after swinging the auger out the tank would not unload. I knew the drive for the auger was on the offside of the combine so pointed Dave in that direction. On inspection, the shear bolt linking the drive to the slip clutch was broken. I suitable replacement from fetched from the workshop and I fitted it (being the only one tall enough to reach!!) and lo - it came to pass that the auger had drive!  ;D

Another couple of circuits of the field and then came the real treat - whilst Dave and Mick took the trailer to the store I was sat in the driving seat and combined a few circuits of the field with the old gal!

Dave returned with the JD2850 and Marston trailer so he took over combining duties and I drove the tractor - we even perfected unloading on the move  ;D  ;D  ;D

Then problems again as Dave inadvertently combined into the swath at the end of a side, causing the elevator trunking and concave to jam solid with straw - cue much screeching and smoke and the belts protested the blockage.

Back to the yard where we pulled the straw from the header auger, trunking and reversed the drum to pull the blockage out of the access panel under the operation platform. It took a very long crow bar the turn the concave backwards - but we managed it eventually.

Back into the field and the old lady was happy again, I had another go driving the combine and then with the time heading past 7.00pm I had to leave to make the journey back home.

Thanks to Dave and Mick for the welcome and for the laughs we shared today - along with the trials and tribulations associated with running an old combine!

/malc.

post-1701-132638862182_thumb.jpg

post-1701-132638862191_thumb.jpg

My newly gained Dominator 8x/10x knowledge was put to good use - and it was satisfying to recognise things in reality that I'd spent hours (minutes?) pouring over in 1:32 scale!

Although I had a great time today - I'm glad that I'm not tied to a combine tomorrow as we've got a party to go to in Islington which is gonna be fun in a totally different direction! ;)

/m.

great pics, Malcy, thanks.She's even got the original 3 rib rear tyres too by the looks of things. I  had one fail on the main road and had to change it by the roadside, fortunately I had a spare Michelin Pilote Agricole that I'd bought s/h for the loader tractor at the time and was only a mile from home.

Reminded me of my old gal,which was an earlier version that drove through the auger flight itself on the unloader and was only 11' cut.I've got pics somewhere in the vaults. ' been loving the models too.

thanks for shareing you day with us malcy, as per usual  great pics , & for some reason a sort of slow willed calming satisfaction of seeing 'proper machinery' being used & not the apparent rip tear of the new gear trying to keep up with it's self  :)

Wow, that first post was an ace read Malcy and the photo's thereafter were a pictorial story in themselves. What a day you had, break from the norm and one to remember no doubt.  :) :) Great pair of guys thesetwo sound like as well, some lovely machinery they have.