Peat Workings Blues

James T

Thanks guys.  Sorry, I'm afraid not, I was ill-equipped with my new trainers (ruined!) - I'll try and get back again at some point later this year.

Ok here's a question mate. just how wet is that peat?

I mean how far could your average sized guy get acros it before sinking? You say a distance and we will send someone across.......

Ok here's a question mate. just how wet is that peat?

I mean how far could your average sized guy get acros it before sinking? You say a distance and we will send someone across.......

The top few inches should be fairly dry Jez. Drop a lit cigarette in it though and so say it will burn for seven years!! Driving on it can get dodgy the further into the season you get, watching the bow wave in the ground infront of you can be quite disheartening at times  :o:D

This place is on a back road in lowland Scotland, many people don't even know it's there and it can be cut off from one side as a loch floods across the road.  Grid ref NS9548 - Ryeflat Moss, worked by William Sinclair Ltd.  For rail enthusiasts, there's also a narrow gauge peat railway (now defunct) on site.

Echo all the above really... that 7810 is something else... I wonder how much it cost to convert that lady... and indeed how reliable it is as well  ???:-\ (The modifications I mean... not the tractor)...

Thanks for sharing... I feel as though we should all club together to get you some new trainers... AND some waders to get some more pics  :P:D :D

There is another similar operation just off the A74 that I pass when I am going to Stranraer on our summer golfing trip, I have always meant to stop and get photos but never got round to it yet  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

What are you lads like?  ;);D

The one you seeis probably at Nutberry Moss beside the A75 near Gretna at NY265685.  Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be suitable photographs on Geograph.co.uk, but in one shot http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/692794 peat workings can be seen.

There is another similar operation just off the A74 that I pass when I am going to Stranraer on our summer golfing trip, I have always meant to stop and get photos but never got round to it yet  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\