A selection of strange (rare) MF combines....

Some rare US brochures there lads ;)

Seems MF were upgrading these as they updated the Self Propelleds.

Did the 740 ever come to the UK ;)

Mostly Australian Colm... with the exception of the 751, 851 and the 35pt ... which are in actual fact 750's and 850's as you can see...

The 740 was French - I've never seen one and it wasn't sold my MF in the uk as part of their range that's for sure...

The 515 Cane Harvester is one of the (if not the) first mechanised cane harvesters for the Australian market.... MF went on to make two self-propelled versions a few years later than this - Massey Ferguson were the first in the world to fully machanise the harvesting of cane I believe.  So this is quite a rare brochure in my eyes... in actual fact... one of my favourites really I think  :)

Any clues for now... just to keep me guessing

Well found the source material,

Not 100% Massey Ferguson, However designed by Herr Helwig Schmitt, who was employed by Massey Ferguson at the Eschwege plant in the early 1980's.

This drive in model was built mid to late 1980's, marketed with MF's as prime movers...

post-56-132638931258_thumb.jpg

post-56-132638931274_thumb.jpg

I'd guess drive by cross shaft from the rear PTO to  the two drum walker units, front PTO for unload auger.

I heard a few MF 2680 / 3680's were converted with reverse drive for these.

Would be interesting to find all up weight - front bin must only be three or four tonnes.

Could see a possible use on small mixed farms as a replacement for say older MF 530's or their equivelants.

Never took off big time but who knows - with even a cheap Tucano coming in at six figures plus there maybe a whole new market.

Lord Ferguson

Nice brochures. I have most of the USA MF combine brochures and the MF 740, but the Aussie stuff, which I've never managed to crack, is pure magic. I'm loving it.

For future reference we (Classic Tractor) are working on a 3-part story on the MF combine factory at Brantford which, I'm told by my Canadian correspondent, will be illustrated by some previously unseen pictures. Not sure when it will appear but it will hopefully be within the next 2-3 months.

Telarrian

I have a German brochure for this same wrap-round machine, which would make a good model conversion project for someone, using the Britains MF 2680 as a base.

Regards

R Day

Lord Ferguson

Nice brochures. I have most of the USA MF combine brochures and the MF 740, but the Aussie stuff, which I've never managed to crack, is pure magic. I'm loving it.

For future reference we (Classic Tractor) are working on a 3-part story on the MF combine factory at Brantford which, I'm told by my Canadian correspondent, will be illustrated by some previously unseen pictures. Not sure when it will appear but it will hopefully be within the next 2-3 months.

Thanks Rory... glad you are enjoying it... they sure had some strange looking equipment in Australia that's for sure... as for the Brantford stuff... now I am REALLY looking forward to that (them)...

I've won some real strange stuff recently on ebay from Australia... I'll pop it in here when the posty arrives  :)

Lord,

Got some MF leaflets from Argentina a while back...dated about the late 1980s, very strange model numbers and appearance, nothing like the European tractors. The Irania, Libyan and Turkish literature is also worth looking out for if you fancy something different, along with TAFE of course. I also have quite a lot of Swedish MF literature which is a totally different format to the UK literature.

R Day

This reverse drive wrap around combine was initially marketed as a Massey Ferguson with 16' or 18' cutting widths. I don't think it was terribly successful and MF subsequently divested the rights to the Mortl Company in whose livery you have it pictured.  A picture of the MF version can be found on page 99 of World Harvesters by Bill Huxley