County 1174 (& 1004)

RichardJW1

To my great shame I'm afraid I haven't got too many pics on here of the 1004, however here's a few that show its evolution since I bought it in Oct. '96 with (we believe) 4,800 hrs on the clock - it had spent 30 yrs on a small beef farm near us

December '96

Dec961004-1.jpg

Preparing for some cosmetic surgery in Dec. '05

caboff2.jpg

The finished result......I'd got the wheels & wings sandblasted, painted them myself & made some new foot-plates for it

10041174jan06.jpg

Been flail topping (Aug. '06)

1004aug06.jpg

OH to have soil like the stuff you've been pluffing :'( :'( :'( :'(

Yes, its easy ground to work, but the offset for us is that being south-west facing it dries out when (or maybe I should say 'if') we have dry weather and as you can see it is all what we call sloping ground so with all this wet weather it washes out bad

Yes, its easy ground to work, but the offset for us is that being south-west facing it dries out when (or maybe I should say 'if') we have dry weather and as you can see it is all what we call sloping ground so with all this wet weather it washes out bad

You need a press on the plough to consolidate the soil and retain moisture

Great pics, I can just hear the 1174 purring along now with a wisp of black smoke going up into the air and smell that stubble as it is turned under.

The 1004 has a diffent nose cone and a Bomford blade frame in later pics, do you use it for scraping?

Its the same cowling, the only diff. is that the lights have moved and its a diff. grille.

When I got it home the light housings had rusted right out and the sealed beam bulbs had blown so I decided to fit different ones up on the side of the cowling

The Bomford blade has been used when we levelled out some planings on tracks out around our fields and sometimes for pushing up tree moots for burning. To be honest its not the easiest thing to use, for a start you can't see the corner of the blade to get and idea where it is in relation to the ground, and secondly, it makes the back-end pretty light......we got it just in case we need it  :)

For all you 1174 fans I managed to find these photos on my hard drive, they're scans from old pictures taken in '83 (or '84) from a dealer's yard in Devon.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice in the 2nd pic that the steps have a square stem which would point to the fact that this tractor is quite likely to be a '77 model.

I haven't re-sized them because I didn't want to lose the detail

Pict0033-1.jpg

Pict0032.jpg

hey rich, still looking good, hope you are well,  mike

Hiya Mike, good to hear from you......how's it going? I was looking at your models over on the other pages......I got to say that you got some patience to do that!!!!!!!  I get the shakes trying to put the top link pin in!!!  ;) 

Go well

RjW

Some great pictures, has the 1174 been well looked after or been refurbished?

Super Six,

I've only had it since summer '04, but spoke to the previous owner who gave us a run down on its life since new, it hasn't been on forestry or construction work, just farm work, he had it for 20 odd years and was also a bit of a fanatic.

Below is a photo of what it looked like when I bought it.....o.k. I've been at it with the polish, re-sprayed the front wheel discs, changed the tyres and done some routine maintenance & repairs, but essentially its pretty original.

There's two options - either do a full restoration and put it to virtual factory condition or leave it in good 'as-is' condition, the first option will require time and some LSD, both are on the 'minimum' mark right now, so we agreed at home let it stay as it is.

1174-1.jpg

Superb photo's!! I hadn't seen this topic when I asked for working down photo's earlier on. Those plought pics are just wonderful. I'd love to park in a gateway and watch you turn a couple of furrows.

Funny you should say that because these pics were taken on an August weekend and it was surprising how many people walking along the footpath to & from the park & ride at the top stopped to take pics on their phones, plus one guy who stopped in for a chat who was down on a diving holiday who's brother was in to collecting Countys.

Great shots there Richard  - looks well with the 4f plough - is that a DP8 or 7  ???

Nash, its a DP8B 14" with UCN bodies on it.......when brother bought it we were a bit skeptical about how UCNs would work on our land, basically because there ain't a bustin' lot of it in places, we'd sort of thought about the YCN bodies being more suitable - or even better a Kverneland, but gift horses and all that we ended up with this one and having tinkered with a few adustments its making a good job, certainly better than the Lemken it replaced.

I like to see them in their working clothes unless they are really bad. Its good to see that some people do look after them though. Perhaps I'll be lucky enough to get one that's been well looked after, I've made a start as I have the grill badge from one my dad drove in the 70's. His was an 1124 with a hiab mounted on the back and towed a large pole trailer that had a flatbed fixed to it. This being during the building of the M27 motorway , from Portsmouth to Funtly. He is not to sure which version, Force or Preforce, it was as it had a replacement bonnet/nose cone or two :o. The supplier was most likely A T Osborne. I was lucky enough to have a steer, being only little then. Sorry to much waffle  ::)