Lunch Time for the Two Fergies!

Andy

Guest Fendt pwr

Thanks for the info  :) I also farm some light stony ground but the stones we have are not as bad on your gear as what you are working with.Ours stones are only the size of an apple and are very smooth.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fendt pwr

Yer you've gotta look afther them fingers.

They have rocks like that in the soil in sweden,after the paddock was worked the boss or myself would drive all over the land with a rock fork on the front of a big volvo wheel loader and pick them all up.It took alot of extra work but he thought it was worth it in the long run.

Well we last year went replaced all tyres on the MF 8240 after just under 2000 hours work which i dont think is to bad really we only have the odd field of stones glad i dont have the stuff you have we just have clay and alot of it

we do have some clay, but more stoney soil. we can only dream of 2000 hours on a set of tyres on my tractor as it does all the ploughing, very unkind to rubber and wearing parts! not to mention combine header sensor bands!!

Guest Fendt pwr

Be fair to say you english farm that clay well,A few english farmers have moved out here in the last few years and they all say how nice and soft our ground is haha it also don't take them long before they learn what irragation is. :) :)

i hate irrigation!!we grow 20acres of carrots on our other farm, the kit belongs to the owner not to us, he sold the good stuff and kept the worst ones, it took 3 of us a week to get it to run properly and during the whole season there was only one day when it didn't go wrong! As for clay we have a 600 acre unit that a 170hp tractor and 5 furrow plough at 14inch furrows struggles to plough at times, some of the worst land in that area of Norfolk, in fact the driver ripped the headstock on the plough in half two weeks ago, really tough going!! ::)

N/H2 might know about the stuff I have worked on outside Perth in NE Scotland(on the Baiglie straight Martin if you know it between Glenfarg and Bridge of Earn),it is Blue clay looks like marble you won't get a plough to go in unless it is wet really hard going this stuff furrows just bend back on themselves rather than go into the ground.The guy I know now direct drills all OSR and min tills the cereals.

i know the sort of clay you mean, theres an area of blue clay on the Norfolk/Suffolk border that i once had the misfortune to lift sugarbeet on. we had to dig 3 tonnes of beet out of the bottom of the tank on the Verveat where they were glued together with the clay as well as digging it off the cross augar in the tank, was just solid like a roller!

We have clay but not that bad so i cant complain i guess the only problem i've had with our ground is large boulders at 12 inchs below surface i hate it when subsoiling litrally rip the frame on the subsoiler that attaches link arms to the frame of the subsoiler both just shear right off right pig to fix happened 3 times in one field last year  :D :D :D that was a bad day

mines the only one of the 3 tractors there that will stall on it, the other bloke thinks 9 inches deep is enough! Keep telling him i can plough deeper than that, i stick it in 15 inches and she just finds it tough going on boulder clay for some reason ::) ::) even my old 240hp Magnum 7230 used to struggle on those bits!

We start to struggle around the14 inch mark we only go less then 11 if we're min-tillin and theres an underlaying level of chalk i prefer to stick around 12-14 because anything less than that i can plough that deep so theres no point i think in doing it  :D :D

Exactly i can cover the ground just as quickly with the plough as the subsoiler (depends on conditions) but have a seedbed all pressed and ready for the vaderstad drill so i dont feel theres any point if go to shallow with a subsoiler.

Guest Fendt pwr

N/H2 might know about the stuff I have worked on outside Perth in NE Scotland(on the Baiglie straight Martin if you know it between Glenfarg and Bridge of Earn),it is Blue clay looks like marble you won't get a plough to go in unless it is wet really hard going this stuff furrows just bend back on themselves rather than go into the ground.The guy I know now direct drills all OSR and min tills the cereals.

That is very interesting bairn.Makes one wonder why they were trying to work that land in the frist place if direct drilling will work for them.

I have a bit of a dilemma....Each year on the farm we plant around 50ha of turnips and rape.Problem is our turnips love a well worked seedbed but as I strip graze the crop off in winter it gets very compacted and pugged up because of the high stock traffic/numbers being shut behind a hot wire.

So to fix the compaction I need to grubb the paddock a few times to get it back to a good state and as you can understand the problem starts over again for another year.

This year I'm going to try something a bit diffrant(on a wee bit of land)...direct drill the turnips into the old pasture and except a lower yield of turnips but reduce the compation.

From tests I've done the trick to good no-tillage is braking the compation cycle I think.

Sorry if I'm boring anyone I'll zip it now. :)

I ken wahur aboot ye are Davie...... ;) ;)

That is very interesting bairn.Makes one wonder why they were trying to work that land in the frist place if direct drilling will work for them.

I have a bit of a dilemma....Each year on the farm we plant around 50ha of turnips and rape.Problem is our turnips love a well worked seedbed but as I strip graze the crop off in winter it gets very compacted and pugged up because of the high stock traffic/numbers being shut behind a hot wire.

So to fix the compaction I need to grubb the paddock a few times to get it back to a good state and as you can understand the problem starts over again for another year.

This year I'm going to try something a bit diffrant(on a wee bit of land)...direct drill the turnips into the old pasture and except a lower yield of turnips but reduce the compation.

From tests I've done the trick to good no-tillage is braking the compation cycle I think.

Sorry if I'm boring anyone I'll zip it now. :)

We sow a lot of turnips for someone at work and have managed to get some good coverage in the past by broadcasting the seed on with a Kuhn fertiliser spreader, think we used about 25kg of seed to 1000kg of top dressing in the spreader from memory. we have also had a local contractor blow it into the crop with an air jet spreader with great success. Unfortunately due to an agronomy mix up, we had to plough and drill 90% of the area this year as he used Ally herbicide and IPU by mistake!! ::) ::)

Will endevour to get some more pics like that taken, Its the very first real farm pic ive taken and submitted? :)

Thanks FTF for getting me into another new past time? ;)

you can only blame yourself!!  :D :D :D

Guest Fendt pwr

We sow a lot of turnips for someone at work and have managed to get some good coverage in the past by broadcasting the seed on with a Kuhn fertiliser spreader, think we used about 25kg of seed to 1000kg of top dressing in the spreader from memory. we have also had a local contractor blow it into the crop with an air jet spreader with great success. Unfortunately due to an agronomy mix up, we had to plough and drill 90% of the area this year as he used Ally herbicide and IPU by mistake!! ::) ::)

That's interesting Gavin,A few here work the field down fine then get the seed and fert spread on in one go then go over the land with a cambridge roller to pack it in.Last year we got a guy to drill the farms turnips with a case mxm130 and austain roller drill towing a 2nd roller behind that.Do you use roller drills in the U.K? some guys call them broadcaster drills.

Can't say that i've seen one or if i have, i can't place it at the moment. I know a few people who have rigged up broadcasters to furrow presses. Some have put them onto combine headers, subsoilers and disc harrows for broadcasting oilseed rape and turnips on though

Guest Fendt pwr

What's that combine seeding method like?Our biggest problem is lack of moisture at that time of year so I think the seed would just sit in the ground untill it rained or come up then die.